Anybody got a log deck?

Goaty

Pondering and trying to broaden my Knowledge of firewood processing, I have failed to find any concise or definate info on log decks. Is this because they are so simple and easy to copy, or ineffective in use?

Do they save time and aches?

Do they jam or fail to load a percentage of the time?

I was interested in palax in particular.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need something to load it with, either a crane or a fork lift attachment for a loader. Given thats in place and the timber you are processing is 100mm dia plus then its worth having, makes life easier and the processing faster. I bought the JAPA manual rack from Fuelwood, works ok, I can get about 4 cube onto it. We just had to fix an extra support into it to stop short logs dropping through it. If and when I upgrade to a bigger processor such as a Palax etc then it would also be sensible to upgrade to a hydraulic rack.

A

was enquiring yesterday about new processor and log deck... there not cheap.. a 3/4 metre palax deck is 4grand and a 5 metre one which is one i want is 7 grand.. we been loading our old processpr with mini digger thats got small log grab on it.. works a treat and the operator has time to sort every lenght into diff piles... 4 way.. 6 way and single split stuff so you change wedge as few times as poss...

way i see it with a log deck is that it should last a life time..

If your working solo a log deck and loader is essential imo.

I have the hakki woodran 422 gravity fed with hyd. Paddles. Cost about £2.5k new.

I can just about get 2.5m3 worth of softwood on the deck at once enough for a load.

The bigger the deck the better.

If i was needing one now i would build one. More bang for your buck.

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

When I bought my Palax I looked at a log deck but could not justify the price for the arb waste I process. Instead I used 6ft by 3ft stackable steel stillages and my fork lift as a portable log deck rolling the logs direct off the stlllage at the right height. The stillage loaded up direct from the forwarder. If I had nice straight timber then I would have gone for the log deck.

We use a Woodran 472. It is 7.5 mt long with the extensions and works very well. It takes any size timber and can be loaded as high as you like. We do not see any reason why we should have to change for many years, as it is independent from the processor except for the hydraulic couplings and should never wear out. Being able to load enough timber on it to last a few hours is a great bonus.

I have a Hakki Pilke 1x37 and made my own log deck. The steel (50mm box ) cost me about £50 and I can get about 2.5 m3 on it. Don't see the point in forking out thousands for one when mine does the job perfectly. It took about half a day to make it. Will have a look to see if I have any pics.

I have a Hakki Pilke 1x37 and made my own log deck. The steel (50mm box ) cost me about £50 and I can get about 2.5 m3 on it. Don't see the point in forking out thousands for one when mine does the job perfectly. It took about half a day to make it. Will have a look to see if I have any pics.

Is it hydraulic?

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk