Splitting fatigue.

Mark Bolam

I know all this you heathens, apart from the Brighton thing, may try that....

Same pace of swing, always try and parallel the grain blah blah blah.

100 rounds split, lovely. One round 3 bounces, knackered.

Why?

WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY?

really dont know!!!

my wrists both ache as soon as i get a lump which wont go easily, i think because of the wrist problem i then start to swing the axe slightly awkwardly which soon wears me out.......

what height is your chopping block? i have mine slightly lower than my waist height so im never arcing my back to much, every one else says its too high but it works for me!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem mark has is that he's vertically challenged, so he has to split most logs above head height, can't do anyone any good that!!

A good solid set of 'high heels' might help here then,they could help trade on my alternative sugestion too if all else fails:laugh1:

Not one for the big boys, but I still split most of my stuff by hand. My electric hydraulic is slow and best suited to two men for decent productivity.

I can split 100's rings without feeling knackered, as long as they split. As soon as I get a hard-splitting piece I have to hit a few times I'm exhausted! Can anyone explain?

After 35 years of splitting wood I'm reasonably adept at judging what will split and what won't.

coz you is getting old boy :laugh1:

If I had been splitting firewood for 35 years I would be knackered. When you are middle aged you are entitled to buy a decent engine driven splitter.

So I could get even fatter?:001_tongue:

It's a sideline to get rid of arb waste for me Steve, not a full time business.

£50 a load! Not.

I've found the quickest non-mechanised logging is a couple of blokes firing in for an hour or two after a short day with a pub reward.

I sell sub 20% MC logs for a bang on average price, nearly all to repeat customers.

I would also like to see a machine process what we do by hand. (We are not powerful, but you know what I mean?)

I reckon it's all in your head.

You're splitting and you're happy. You're happy as at your age every ring split is a victory. You ride this wave of victory and it feels great, it counteracts the tiring feeling in your body. But then.... You hit a badly knotted bugger, your axe bounces off. Mildly confused you try again but again the log defeats you. You've now fallen of your wave of victory, straight into a bad defeat, and every following blow you give it will be another blow to your self-confidence. Now you feel like a loser the tiredness override is switched of as well, you're double buggered.

If it does not split in two blows, put it to the side for the saw or an angry moment!