best big saw

ptrinder

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 660 has been a great, ultra reliable workhorse. Husky bar cover, obviously, rather than Stihls 2 piece garbage:sneaky2:.

I feel it lacks a bit of grunt running a 36" bar, but will push it ok. Much better with a 30", absolute beast with a 25".

Can't comment on the 395 other than I've heard great things about them from people who have cut a lot of timber.

This is a good positive thread rather than a Stihl vs. Husky slagathon (apart from you Ian:001_tongue:).

880/3120? Hate them both!

Overkill for 99% of anything you will face in Britain IMO.

(If anyone does massive trees every single day I don't give a f, you are boring me already).:thumbdown:

Sorry for de-railing slightly,390xp is awesome saw, had use of 3120 for a time but I'm only little. Not used a 395 though. depends how big you really need to go? 390xp handles 36" fine IMO, but might be asking to much of it if used none stop all day?

Fancy a 390 with a 24" ... Miss the 288 I sold... But it's a little between here and there I can't justify buying one!

i now use a husky 395xp and would not buy anything elts now , i have used plently of ms660's and the husky seems to have more grunt , lover vibes , better fule and oil filler caps , more comfortable to use both on the ground and in the tree . the only reason for getting the 395xp was to replace my ageing 288xp - this saw was made in 1998 and has seen a staggering ammount of work - the saw it still being used regularly and the main reason to get the 395xp was to have an extra saw on site and to run a bigger bar .

I'll back up the recommendations for the 395XP. We bought one for the new council arb unit, my first new husky in NZ and first husky full stop for some time. The 395 seems a little more fragile than the 660 or 066 (two chain tensioner screws broken and the choke leaver pops off easily) but it more than makes up for those foibles with the sheer grunt of the thing. Low down it seems to have way more torque than the Stihl. Not sure if it actually has but that's what it seems like. it also seems a more comfortable saw to handle. If I was going to purchase a large saw for my own business I'd be having the 395. Take the cheaper price in to account and it wins all round.

Either way your probably going to be fine.

The big huskys are more fun to run but lack the reliability of the stihls in my opinion.

I have a 394,a 395 and a 3120. They have all required coils, which REALLY ticked me on the 3120 as it had done SFA hours. While contract climbing I have had half the 395/4's passed up to me not to want to start when hot. I like the way they run and the filter system is a world better than the stihl, but I would never buy another.

I have run 66's for 10 years and they have been exemplary, one of them started out life as a forestry saw in 1991, did 2 years felling then got used for a chainsaw mill before I got it, it was the first pro saw I brought and still does wonders to this day.

A couple brake handles, 2 handlebars, starter pawl, clutch springs, couple fuel/oil caps, set of rings and a couple starter cords. not bad for 5 saws.

When choosing saws, you might want to think about the chains and bars. I now run all 44's and 66's and leave the rest on the shelf, it makes bar and chain choices and stocking parts easier.

Got a 660 and a 395xp both with 28" and 36". The 395 handles the bigger bar better defo.

The choke lever on the 395 can pop off if you're not careful.

Chain brake lever on 395 is rubbish.

395 air filter is better.

395 is more comfortable in the hands, IMO.

I'd buy the 395xp again, no doubt.