Removing the wooden section from a hi-lift wedge?

andy_mac

Really? I've been doing it with mine for several years when the wood has split and never had a problem afterwards...

Why would it weaken them?

There is a load of myth about heating and cooling steel so here is myth busted.

The properties of mild steel are governed mainly by it's make up, more carbon is brittle less is ductile. Properties can also be affected by heating and cooling rapid cooling from red hot tends to take mild steel to the brittle end of it's property scale.

Slow cooling will anneal (soften) steel.

Heat treating hardened steel can improve ductility while retaining hardness but the steel has to be an alloy containing exotic steels for this to happen (think chipper blade)

Stoving a wedge overnight wont harm it or take the strenghth away, it will allow any stresses in the material to relax and if anything improve it, just dont quench it.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a load of myth about heating and cooling steel so here is myth busted.

The properties of mild steel are governed mainly by it's make up, more carbon is brittle less is ductile. Properties can also be affected by heating and cooling rapid cooling from red hot tends to take mild steel to the brittle end of it's property scale.

Slow cooling will anneal (soften) steel.

Heat treating hardened steel can improve ductility while retaining hardness but the steel has to be an alloy containing exotic steels for this to happen (think chipper blade)

Stoving a wedge overnight wont harm it or take the strenghth away, it will allow any stresses in the material to relax and if anything improve it, just dont quench it.

Its made of aluminium so I dont think that will apply.

Nice info though.:thumbup1:

I usually have trouble keeping the wood in the wedge!

I keep 2 rings on mine. Cracked one when I was doing my felling course by hitting it at the wrong angle while encouraging a pop to go against its lean. Tree went over and wedge fell in two! Got another set and have 2 rings on. Wrap them in insulation tape and it stops them twisting when you hit them. Big difference IMO.

• 7 months later...
Many of our customers are using the plastic inserts. They last longer than the wooden ones and are weather proof. No need for the rings either.

If you need more info, click here: Plastic Handle for High Lift Wedges | Clark Forest : Wedges & Spares

Yeah, but at £22 it's rather steep, especially if you're used to carrying 4 wedges around just in case anything goes awry with the fell. Any discount for forum members, Yve?

As others have said - few drill holes down the edge and it usually peels out easy enough.

Double ringing is definitely they way forward but on some shafts takes a bit of fettling to get them both on from new.

Quite fancy trying using the plastic insert and surely it won't take that long for them to pay for thmselves comared to the wooden ones.

Last wooden one was mullered in a day spent doing nothing but big hairy lodgepole.