What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Surely that has AV. Looks like it has.

Yes I should have said poor av as it vibrates enough to make it uncomfortable to use compared with my Huskies or the ms261s at work.

The engine is isolated with 4 rubber mounts but they are not very resilient, of course they may have gone hard over the years in my garage.

hi all, depseratly looking for help with a 357xp. keeps failing to oil and within 1 cut bar and chain are way way too hot to touch. chain dry.

oil tank cleaned out, pump been off and pipes cleaned.

wondering it this is common or me cursed, how would i clean out pump? failing that wheres a good place to get new one from apart from all ebay suggests importing from america.

thanks

david

Edited by david wood
spelling

oil pickup cleaned, re cleaned and cleaned again. bar holes cleaned and checked.

had oil pump out twice today, seems to work ok. second time soaked in petrol for a while, blew it out best i could with airline, back in petrol again for a while, blew out again and then back onto saw.

ran saw and cut one log, bar and chain seriously hot so repeated all of above stuck it back together and seems ok now.

so i guess either oil pump is dodgy or drive for it is worn. have pm'ed spud and checked what he thinks so now its try it again see how long it works for and then its new oil pump and drive i reckon.

shame as i love the saw.

For the record, the 357XP oil worm drive pinion has a flange around the front of it, this locates on a step on the crank shaft and stops the gear riding in and rubbing on the seal and also keeps it in mesh with the clutch drum:thumbup:

Look at the photo below and you will see the flange- I am talking about the one inside the central hole and NOT the large outside one!!!

If yours is missing then change the part - around £10!!

503912703.jpg.ec2fe8e49f0ead3b8794eab441ba43e0.jpg

Edited by spudulike

hi all, depseratly looking for help with a 357xp. keeps failing to oil and within 1 cut bar and chain are way way too hot to touch. chain dry.

Is it on the original bar and has it ever oiled ? Check if the oil hole lines up with the oiler.

will pull it apart again and check that spud, take some pics to show state of mine. thanks for pm also so will check at same time.

have blown out the oil pickup filter both ways so its clean.

at least second bar on saw so has oiled in past, just seems to have lil phases where it wont oil. local dealer has had it in bits a few times to see what he can find.

will look at these bits when it messes up again, after throwing oil pump in a tub of petrol for a good while last night seems ok now.

will pull it apart again and check that spud, take some pics to show state of mine. thanks for pm also so will check at same time.

have blown out the oil pickup filter both ways so its clean.

at least second bar on saw so has oiled in past, just seems to have lil phases where it wont oil. local dealer has had it in bits a few times to see what he can find.

will look at these bits when it messes up again, after throwing oil pump in a tub of petrol for a good while last night seems ok now.

If you do find that flange has worn through, check the outer crank seal for damage to the outer seal - I have just repaired a saw that had taken out the seal in this manner - fourtunately the owner caught it early enough not to seize the saw:thumbup:

I know many will have other pet hates but here are mine: -

1) Home owner equipment in to service and the owner saying that there can't be much wrong with it:thumbdown: With a sigh I say, just buy me a crate of beer:001_rolleyes:

2) A box arriving with the saw in bits where the dealer or owner ran out of talent or the inclination to fix the saw:sneaky2: You NEVER know if all the bits are there or if any part is busted and all that oily saw-dusty crap that is all over the saw - think if I owned saws for professional use, I would own a compressor and clean them out once in a while!

3) The old saw with an attached owner saying "Don't spend too much time on it, I don't want to pay too much".....tough, old saws should be owned by owners that covet them and look after them in their old age. Old saws always have perished fuel lines, need carb kits, have buggered sprockets, are covered in antique musty smelling wood chip and are generally past it.

Am I some sort of Magician turning crap in to gold - it all takes time and is generally MORE time consuming and needs greater skill and perseverance to resurrect these saws:scared1::cursing:

Rant over - can someone send me a nice clean saw to fix for a change:001_rolleyes::lol: