What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I'm 62 now and ever since I was a teenager I have never been able to resist taking things to bits to try to get them working again. I've always done my own car and motorbike repairs, welding and servicing and building and plumbing, plastering and everything else I can physically manage. I build computers and troubleshoot for friends as well, I like the challenge but it is getting complicated nowadays with more electronics and different operating systems. Riding on waste ground these days is not an option, the police confiscated lots of pit bikes last year round here and they were all crushed, kids aren't satisfied with this they want to ride them round the pavement like pushbikes with no silencers, insurance or protective gear and generally cause a nuisance as their parents are just glad to have them out of the way.

I have had two right b?st$ds of saws in near history, one was an ex British Alcan MS650 with nothing on it serviceable and then this 365 Husqvarna!

So far I have fitted new chain catcher, air injection Jet, kill wire and chain brake spacer. got it back together and the idle was crap and then it didn't start - the compression had dropped by 20psi to 130 and reckon the saw had old fuel oil lining the cylinder that had made a good seal and running it had then burnt it off killig the compression.

New piston, compression 160psi (no base gasket:sneaky2:) :thumbup:

Still crap idle and a further strip of the carb showed a leaking welsh plug so re-sealed it and it seemed better - just tached it and bingo - everything is now OK at long last:thumbup:

This one just kept giving....................me head pain but glad it is done now:001_rolleyes::lol:

The owner said he wants it to pull a 20" bar, not surprised it wouldn't before but the hike in compression will help it do it:thumbup:

This has been my bench today, works surprisingly well.

35izqsm.jpg

So i had my 560xp on the bench for a new chain brake band, i decided to give it a good clean and check all the bolts. I found the exhaust port a bit carboned up which i was a bit surprised at, but the real issue was the holes in the cylinder fins.

105d35t.jpg

Has anyone seen similar on their saws??

Quick question. I've an old Stihl 024 that I'm going to be rebuilding soon and I recall nicking the carb off it for another one a while back leaving the other problematic carb with it.

Since this carb already got kitted and is still shyte, I'm thinking of cutting my losses and buying one of those Huztl Zama ones on ebay. For less than £15 it's not much of a punt to take, but the only thing I'm uncertain on is that these carbs have the top cover with the supplementary air intake that plugs into the back of the air filter.

This is an older 024 with the standard cap and smaller air filter, so my question is, can I just exchange the caps, or would I need to add the newer air filter, which then leads on to the question of will the air filter cover then need to be upgraded too? checked the IPL and it looks like either cap is an option on these carbs, would just welcome someone's advice/confirmation.

I'll get it ordered anyway since orders from Huztl take about 3 weeks to get here. If it doesn't work out for this one I'll just keep it for the next 026/260 needing one.

Cheers,

Dan

If you buy new 026 carb from stihl the it comes with the 2 different tops, one normal flat one and the one with the top that plugs into the airfilter. So i assume you just use the top you need. Ive not really looked into but thats how the one i ordered for a customer to fit themselves arrived.

Edited by Ray1

If you buy new 026 carb from stihl the it comes with the 2 different tops, one normal flat one and the one with the top that plugs into the airfilter. So i assume you just use the top you need. Ive not really looked into but thats how the one i ordered for a customer to fit themselves arrived.

Thanks Ray, sounds like it should do the job then.

Cheers

Today I have been cleaning manky saws, a MS200T that looks past its sell by date and a 357XP that has around 4mm of crud on all its surfaces - if this carries on I am going to start a name and shame thread:sneaky2::001_rolleyes::lol:

Not sure a little saw cleaning is top of many owners list of jobs:001_rolleyes: Grrrrrrrrrr:thumbdown:

Today I have been cleaning manky saws, a MS200T that looks past its sell by date and a 357XP that has around 4mm of crud on all its surfaces - if this carries on I am going to start a name and shame thread:sneaky2::001_rolleyes::lol:

Not sure a little saw cleaning is top of many owners list of jobs:001_rolleyes: Grrrrrrrrrr:thumbdown:

The 357 is mine :blushing:. I bought it as a part ex, and had it delivered to Spud. I spent over an hour stripping and cleaning my 038 before I sent it to the buyer. He obviously didn't do the same for me!

Sorry mate, it's a bit like being an IT consultant and being asked to clean off someone's dirty keyboard!

At least the previous owner of the Husqy had to pay extra for all that crap he sent with the saw!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Quick question. I've an old Stihl 024 that I'm going to be rebuilding soon and I recall nicking the carb off it for another one a while back leaving the other problematic carb with it.

Since this carb already got kitted and is still shyte, I'm thinking of cutting my losses and buying one of those Huztl Zama ones on ebay. For less than £15 it's not much of a punt to take, but the only thing I'm uncertain on is that these carbs have the top cover with the supplementary air intake that plugs into the back of the air filter.

This is an older 024 with the standard cap and smaller air filter, so my question is, can I just exchange the caps, or would I need to add the newer air filter, which then leads on to the question of will the air filter cover then need to be upgraded too? checked the IPL and it looks like either cap is an option on these carbs, would just welcome someone's advice/confirmation.

I'll get it ordered anyway since orders from Huztl take about 3 weeks to get here. If it doesn't work out for this one I'll just keep it for the next 026/260 needing one.

Cheers,

Dan

As said the tops are interchangeable. Ive used a couple of the hutzl 026 carbs and never had an issue. They also come set pretty well and barely need anything but a minor fine tune.

At the mo the hutzl stuff seems to be taking little over a week to come thru so I shouldn't think you will be waiting 3.