What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Cheers spud:thumbup:

You saying you found saws have been running without gaskets, what affect would that have on a saw?

Not too much, you can get the hot exhaust gasses escaping between the exhaust and cylinder - on this saw it wouldn't do too much as the plastic is away from the area, sometimes you get a little oil/fuel breaking out between the joint but in reality, it makes no big difference in operation if the exhaust is tightly clamped to the cylinder.

The long term effect may be oily residue on the cylinder that may smoke and cause overheating once it gains a few wood chips etc!

I am not saying leave it off - do the job right!:thumbup:

Rest assured it's on, just wondered if it would be detrimental to run without one.

For the record, I ended up using two dots of superglue to hold it on the muffler until it was in position for bolting on. Probably not the best solution, wish I'd thought of petroleum jelly now.

Ok. So what's people's thoughts over making there own gaskets up. Talking exhaust gasket. Just a thought in my head.

I reckon its a complete and utter waste of time. And as time is money, then its a waste of money too.

You have to have the right material for an exhaust gasket, graphite paper with a metal reinforcement. Its flaming difficult to cut.

Genuine gaskets are readily available, they fit properly and they are cheap, why bodge?

I reckon its a complete and utter waste of time. And as time is money, then its a waste of money too.

You have to have the right material for an exhaust gasket, graphite paper with a metal reinforcement. Its flaming difficult to cut.

Genuine gaskets are readily available, they fit properly and they are cheap, why bodge?

Well that's the right thing. I would always buy as its just easier. But it's not impossible to make the gaskets.

Just thinking out loud really.

Totally agree, I hold gasket paper in different thicknesses for those hard to find gaskets or emergencies but the heat rating is far too low for exhaust gaskets and not really worth it IMO

The superglue solution - nothing wrong with that:thumbup:

How do you go about muffler modding?

Read on here to measure exhaust port and make it no larger than 80%

Does it mean measure exh port on cylinder or the port on the exhaust....

Might be best to get advice from the beginning :blushing:

Also how do you set the carb after... just a 1/4 turn on the H or do you have to adjust both?

Have a few candidates... 064,044,024 :D

Got the 200t back together. Nearly. Enough to run it up. Just need some clutch springs (BARRIE).

Started good and comp is at 160psi.

This is after replacing the crank and bearings with another.

Got a technical question. What is the wear limit on the crank bearings area. The old crank looks ok but not sure what the limit is for it. The bearings are shot though.

How do you go about muffler modding?

Read on here to measure exhaust port and make it no larger than 80%

Does it mean measure exh port on cylinder or the port on the exhaust....

Might be best to get advice from the beginning :blushing:

Also how do you set the carb after... just a 1/4 turn on the H or do you have to adjust both?

Have a few candidates... 064,044,024 :D

IMO send it to spud.:thumbup:

To interject interfrastically (refer Blackadder/Dr. Johnston skit) and skip back to the long wood shavings clogging the saw.

I have experienced this when cutting Sitka butts very close to the ground, so cutting almost along the grain of the buttress, plus with the saw so close to the ground that it could not easily get rid of the shavings.

But wonderfully long continuious shavings.

Plus growth rings as wide as my finger therefore very soft timber.

I tended to think that the saw was cutting right when doing this.

Edited by difflock