Prusik v fancy shiny stuff

Chopper-Gooders

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prussic, Blimey i still use a blakes hitch! Can't be doing with this new fangled stuff, like all technology it's something else to worry about and go wrong! You know where you are with a bit of rope! BAAAAHumbug!

Ha ha ha haa. I was going to say the same thing, before woody beat me to it.

Aye 13mm rope with a 13mm split tail tied using a blakes hitch! Old skool rules :thrasher: Gadgets, we don't need no steeenking gadgets! :bandit:

Mind you I've just been thrust into the 21st century, bought a new rope today, Yale Imori, can't use a bloomin 13mm split tail with that so I'm told, so I've also just had to buy a 10mm prussik! :scared:

Oooh shouldav stuck to the XTC.... gonna have to a lie down........

You lot are all way ahead of me.

I just use my massive ladders for everything, although I did buy some Stihl braces for my jeans recently.

Now thats real old skool Mark.

When i first started with a council in London some years ago there were some wooden triple ladders laying in the corner of the shed that you extended with a rope that was strapped to the side of them. I could'nt even pick them up let alone lay them up against a tree and climb up them. Fully extended they must of been over 50' !

HitchClimber Friction Hitch System

is that the kind of thing??

thats one option, and imop the next step up from loops and split tails, i recomend gettting a knot book, there was one just for tree climbers, probably called the the tree climbers knot book, or look on here to see the different ones you can tie, you may find some of the arent as slick as a blakes or even your prusik, but they are great for when you are working around the canopy, you can even use a pulley wheel to tend slack on a prussik loop, there are lots of options out there

iam i the only person who climbs with just rope and rope??

i think its because i hanvt ever used lock block??and micro pullys, i would like to see how they work/set up ,

just a thought

cheeers

I still use a basic setup, It's all preference. Don't be afraid to try new things, but that's not what's gonna make you a good climber.

Shiny stuff is a poor term for progress. Hauling yourself up a tree with a prussik or blakes just isn't efficient, that's why new kit comes out. Climbing on a HC with a VT, distel - whatever is just easier on your body, so you'll climb for longer, with less aching from pulling down on one side and tending your prussik. I'd never, ever use a prussik as opposed to a HC!