Prusik v fancy shiny stuff

Chopper-Gooders

i cant believe how people are still climbing in the dark ages even now with how accessible information is. When i first started pretty much all that existed was a basic prussik and we didnt have the internet as it is now to gain knowledge from. Pretty much the only time you may learn something new would be at a trade show

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use a blakes hitch, I would like to try the new stuff but find all this terminology confusing, I wonder if anyone knows of a video or indeed could post one of themselves

using one of these things that are at the moment just a series of letters to me.

Being out here (in rural France) I rarely get to swap ideas and work with people using new stuff.

This fancy new shiny fandangled stuff actually isn't all that difficult to learn to use most of the time. I worked on my own a lot of the time so didn't have anyone to show me new techniques or tricks meaning I had to stick with the status quo. Most of the new stuff I learnt has been thanks to arbtalkers sharing their ideas and systems, like using a hitchclimber. Honeybros has a short video on how to tie and use it and I just copied that. I couldn't believe how much difference it made to getting my old ass up a tree. DrewB showed me another system by doubling up the rope through a roller carabina and now I get around the tree even easier. Now I'm able to move more easily through the tree I'm keen to learn more new stuff if it makes my life less painful and prolongs my career in the tree rather than being sent to hide in the office. I still sometimes climb on a blakes when I'm doing small stuff but it just reminds me how much effort is taken out of the job by using some of the new gadgets. Not sure I'd stretch to a spiderjack but never say never.

Having started my career on three strand and a three knot system I have had the pleasure of witnessing and trying the development of climbing systems.

I am currently using a VT and am happy with that. It’s all about what’s best for you but if you don’t try the more recent developments you won’t know what you may be missing.

Dont get tied (no pun intended) to any one system. I believe anyone climbing ought to be familiar with a variety of systems from the old school three knot system up to whatever is newest.

The day someone took a vehicle off site with most of my kit I climbed for a day with a klemheist made with a short tape sling because that’s all I had to hand.

Simple systems like the prussic loop are slow but safe making them ideal for beginners. I would strongly advise anyone with a bit of experience to at least try other systems, you can teach an old dog new tricks

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/28453-james-treeworker-thank-you.html

I use a blakes hitch, I would like to try the new stuff but find all this terminology confusing, I wonder if anyone knows of a video or indeed could post one of themselves

using one of these things that are at the moment just a series of letters to me.

Being out here (in rural France) I rarely get to swap ideas and work with people using new stuff.

I am the same i would like some of the terms explained as i get confused with ART,VT,HC, the only one's i really know are srt and hc.

The way i see it i would be looking a system that has the least amount of kit and gets me up the tree sharpish oh and safely. :thumbup: