Cord stack and Log pile pictures

philg

if there going in a shed should be shed with no sides.. lot my logs that were split and put straight into shed were covered in mould when i moved them...

Yeah probably should have put it better, i store my logs in a old threashing barn which is on top of a hill, store all logs on pallets off the ground and leave doors on both sides of the barn open, plenty of heat from the sun and wind because of the position of the barn.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for sure if you log them green and put them into a sealed shed then they will mould, but like egg said whats the point of cutting into billets then cutting into logs that pice of wood only wants handling once!! unless you cut them for different size fire place's.

I think we are all assuming that we process our wood the same as our selves,personally i get my first wood in about february,no way would that wood be seasoned for the following winter if i left it in trunks then logged it later in the year. Cutting and stacking into billets dries it sufficiently for the coming winter. I guess if you have hundreds of tons of cord then you can leave it to dry and log it and store it when its dry enough.

Yeah probably should have put it better, i store my logs in a old threashing barn which is on top of a hill, store all logs on pallets off the ground and leave doors on both sides of the barn open, plenty of heat from the sun and wind because of the position of the barn.

Surely they dry quicker as logs than billets, so log them from the outset (saves handling twice) chuck them in the shed or under cover and then run the loading bucket into them to load the truck.

How do you manage to use a loading shovel on pallets???:confused1:

I think we are all assuming that we process our wood the same as our selves,personally i get my first wood in about february,no way would that wood be seasoned for the following winter if i left it in trunks then logged it later in the year. Cutting and stacking into billets dries it sufficiently for the coming winter. I guess if you have hundreds of tons of cord then you can leave it to dry and log it and store it when its dry enough.

Reading various posts on here, there seems to be plenty of people still buying in cord to process for THIS winter!

The billeting system is starting to make sense to me. Certainly seems more attractive than stacking on pallets and having to handle every single log again. Other option is Vented bags, but they arent a cheap commodity either

It all depends on your set up and what you have available. I cut beech into billets and it dried really well and could be left out. But I had an upright splitter so had to man handle 1000x600 lumps. Beech starts 100mm and finishes at a point like a wedge. When they were dry the larger bits I put through the processor which then mashed them a bit so lots of trash. If I had a good horizontal splitter and different species I would have another go. What I do now is process into 1.5 metre bags vented then when poly tunnel is empty tip them out for a few weeks. Tunnel has new concrete floor and holds about 100cu metres. With the bobcat I scoop, load and deliver 16 cu metres on a saturday if we are busy.

It all depends on your set up and what you have available. I cut beech into billets and it dried really well and could be left out. But I had an upright splitter so had to man handle 1000x600 lumps. Beech starts 100mm and finishes at a point like a wedge. When they were dry the larger bits I put through the processor which then mashed them a bit so lots of trash. If I had a good horizontal splitter and different species I would have another go. What I do now is process into 1.5 metre bags vented then when poly tunnel is empty tip them out for a few weeks. Tunnel has new concrete floor and holds about 100cu metres. With the bobcat I scoop, load and deliver 16 cu metres on a saturday if we are busy.

Do you cover the vented bags Steve?

Do you cover the vented bags Steve?

I have never covered them before but have pushed the bags under an over hanging hedge. We are running out of hedge now though so may cover some from now on just to see. Someone pointed out when bags are more than 3 deep the ones out of the wind can go mouldy. I used to pile logs up in the field uncovered and the black dirty looking logs burnt the best.