vat on ppe

agrimog

'the dark ages' .......... i think that describes the current climate fairly well!!

i read recently that france had dropped there version of 'vat' within the construction industry... to eventually increase consumer spending... i can see the sense in that, i look forward to other peoples views!!! :001_tt2:

How old are you? Do you remember the 1980's?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How old are you? Do you remember the 1980's?

I do and things aint that bad now, Look back to the 1930s and people were actually hungry and had no clothes!!!!! thats what you called hard times. Today we THINK we have it hard but we dont really its because we want for so much.

The problem today is that the last boom was so big and so long, times were very,very good for such a long time.

Many have only ever traded in the good times and so think its the norm.

I was in retail in the late 80's and early 90's, we were paying 17.5% on our overdraft, 1000's were loosing their homes, it was horrendous.

I'm starting to think that the way things are right now could be how they are going to be for many years to come.

I'm no longer waiting for things to pick up, I'm starting to change the way I do things so that I can still make a living as things are.

The problem today is that the last boom was so big and so long, times were very,very good for such a long time.

Many have only ever traded in the good times and so think its the norm.

I was in retail in the late 80's and early 90's, we were paying 17.5% on our overdraft, 1000's were loosing their homes, it was horrendous.

I'm starting to think that the way things are right now could be how they are going to be for many years to come.

I'm no longer waiting for things to pick up, I'm starting to change the way I do things so that I can still make a living as things are.

:congrats:

FLAT TAX, AND A BALANCED BUDGET FROM TOP TO BOTTOM. Do not spend more than you bring in. Living within ones means is not really a new concept, just one that has not been practiced by the masses for a long time. would take at least One generation to see any longer term results. Problem is most of the population has been on the dole/public well fare programs for so many generations, that the resistance would be very strong against such a solution. Any how I am not really a genius just willing offer a viable alternative to being taxed into oblivion. I to look forward to other opinions.

easy-lift guy

Countries and indeed continents are still paying the debts from the last 200 years of industrial revolution, war, treaties and much more, If your eutopian concept of don't spend more than you bring in was a realisation we would all be in better place but more like 3-4 generations might just make an impact.

I.E just how many Trillions are the USA in debt ? and how much of the current available monies are flowing in and out of China ?

This leads to an interesting point

Do you invest in the best equipment to get the long term benefit and long term low cost ownership or struggle with getting by with secondhand/old machinery ? Start ups and part time landscapers accepted.

And if overheads continue to rise how many will use formula's to analyse true hourly rates and will attempt to make busy with all available work from other areas of Hort/Arb/Agri cutting, landscape, spraying, leaf collection etc to diverse ?

A relative of mine recently got two quotes from tree surgeons to reduce a small tree one was £300.00 the other £240.00 a third quote from a gardening company who was landscaping 3 doors down was for £180.00, they got the job and whilst working from Ladders in the tree told my relative the tree was rotten and should be felled which they could do for a further £150.00.

They were there 2 hours[it was only a small tree] cleaned up afterwards and pocketed £330.00 and went back to the landscape job for the rest of the day.

So they took more money, performed the service and maximised the opportunity to diverse from their original job. They also had decent company clothing and a nice sign written truck so they looked good despite working from ladders.

the recession hasnt even started yet! anyone who thinks what we had 2 years ago was the recession has blinkers on

I had my best year ever two years ago.

Labour just kept throwing money at the problem to postpone the true affects of the crash (in a desperate attempt to stay in power) thats just meant that we now have an even bigger deficit and more pain now its finally being dealt with.

I believe my "eutopian concept" is based more in reality than the present means of funding a society by having a level playing field. As far as the current US debt and funds owed to China, which does not hold the highest amount of said debt. A Flat Tax would limit the amount of funds available to work with and a balanced budget amendment at the Federal level would see to it. In my state of Florida we are required by our constitution to have a balance budget every year. No balance budget no funding and the state shuts down until the budget is completed and signed off by our Governor.

No continuing resolutions or running of the presses 24/7 to keep the currency floating. The Trillions of dollars you claim we are in dept for is not set in stone and most of this spending has not taken place and I believe it will not take place as well IMO.

Since I did say it would take at least one generation to see any longer term results I can accept your opinion that it could take longer. I feel we have Two choices more of the same or living within ones means. I choose to live within my own means and the rest of this country ie the US needs to wise up and smell the coffee ASAP.

I would still invest in the best equipment because it is a reflection of how my business operates. As far as hourly rates are concerned in regards to diverse types of work there will always be another company ready willing and able to compete for work otherwise there would not be any competition. Hourly wages for jobs will be based on what the customer is willing to pay and happy or sad the same customer will be after said job is completed.

easy-lift guy

Err why, their is VAT on the shipping.:confused1:

Sorry i should have been clearer. I meant those that quote shipping charges on their websites and then add vat to it. Most sites shipping charges include the VAT.

What really gets my goat is the massively inflated costs people charge for shipping to scotland (not the islands the mainland). I realise they just pass on the costs their carriers charge but still..........

Sorry i should have been clearer. I meant those that quote shipping charges on their websites and then add vat to it. Most sites shipping charges include the VAT.

What really gets my goat is the massively inflated costs people charge for shipping to scotland (not the islands the mainland). I realise they just pass on the costs their carriers charge but still..........

The carriers are having it away with the out of area charges, we still absorb the standard cost and only pass on the additional. :001_smile: