i think i've upset my local stihl dealer

DN22 Gardening

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the logical way out, and probably what I would have done. I used a shoelace and a stick before now to get to the end of the day.

It's a bit beside the point though, he asked his local merchant to help, and they threw a hissyfit because he refused to sponsor their expensive tea-habits, not excusable.

Threads do have a habit of wandering, getting back to the point then

back in blighty I would buy my saws from a very small local bloke, they would work out a little pricier but when I was in the brown stuff he would fix it there and then or lend me something. The fifty odd quid extra I would pay against a lost afternoon's work made it worthwhile. Does not work for everyone though.

Many Stihl and husky dealers a cannot compete with the established larger outlets because they are most likely on a different pricing structure on what they can buy machines in at.

Shops will get a better price spending say £40000 and being tied into a deal, rather than ordering the odd saw here and there.

Many Stihl and husky dealers a cannot compete with the established larger outlets because they are most likely on a different pricing structure on what they can buy machines in at.

Shops will get a better price spending say £40000 and being tied into a deal, rather than ordering the odd saw here and there.

True enough, and amongst those smaller outfits will be those who feel aggreived that they have to honour warranty issues whilst not getting the sale/profit, but honour it they are obligued to do, mind you that won't stop them "prioritising" their own customers, fair/unfair.....................?

Platts Harris, from my experience, are typical of these large agricultural machinery dealers who have chainsaw dealerships tacked on: they're more interested in selling multi-thousand-pound tractors and implements, and selling and backing up a chainsaw is small beer to them. Nevertheless, the exchange you had with them was totally unacceptable. They're supposed to be representing Stihl, and that means honouring warranty claims irrespective of where the saw was bought. I'd be seriously considering contacting Stihl head office to complain.

Also, from experience again, buying the saw locally from this type of dealer doesn't really improve things. Yes, it's all smiles when you buy the saw, but that changes over time when you come back with problems, or want smaller parts - they make it clear they've got bigger fish to fry. Personally, I found the poor service thing a particular problem with Stihl, and I ended up going over to Husky stuff.

DN22, for mowers, you might want to try Tony Halford in Retford. He's a small dealer, and I don't know whether he'll have what you want, but he's a decent bloke who may give you better service than some of the other grass machinery dealers around here.

Edited by Quickthorn

Why on earth did you leave your saw with the dealer to fix a pull cord and handle? I take it you don't have CS30, this will take you 5 mins to do, All parts you could have ordered from Jones and when returned from your holiday you could have fixed it yourself!!!

:lol: if i couldn't change a pull cord, i think it'd be time for me to hang my spikes up :lol:

if you read the post, the first chap i spoke to was going to give me the cord and handle to fit myself, it was his boss who obviously didn't get his leg over this weekend.

according to him its Stihls requirement to fit all warrenty parts.

if it had only been £50 i would have got it from the local dealer, i'm a big supporter of shopping locally, just ask the butcher in the next village (£25-00 for a sunday roast !!!), but a price difference of £150 on an ms441 is not peanuts.

i use them for most consumables, as well as repairs, they've got an fs86 at the minute which is looking like a £100+ bill (new clutch, and bearings), but as theres 3 Stihl dealers within 20 mins drive of us, it'll be the last time they get anything.

when i took the saw in, while i was waiting to be served, i'd picked a new bar cover up for it. obviously it stayed on the counter when i left. lost sale

they robbed me a few weeks back, i asked them if they had any Silky blades, non in stock, when i took the fs in, they'd got me two in, got home thought, hmmmm that bill was a little high, looked closely, they'd charged me £5-00 postage....!!!!WTF

never again,

my main point, which i suppose never came through, was the fact that i'd recieved crap service, and just wanted a moan...:blushing:

monday morning blues