Own Up!?!

PeteB

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if that means putting the public in danger ?

Topped trees can create a future hazard, but hey ho, doesn't matter is someone dies in 10 years time, they'll have forgotton who did the job by then, as long as my mortgage is paid.

If it come to lowering my standards to such an extent, then I'll get out of tree work. It's quite simple really.

Why do you have to resort to using such low standards. If you are that bothered, buy a mower and cut grass or clean windows or numerous other unskilled jobs that you can set up as.

Dean to be fair that's pretty harsh. I don't like to lower my standards and I sure as hec won't cut a tree like the one in the picture however I will top them if required. As for the comment about topped trees being dangerous; I'm sure we have seen plenty of Hama's posts where trees have been left with deadwood in them or reduced to allow them to regenerate and nobody seems to have an issue with that. Most of the topped trees are done every year or two for the reasons I stated....views.....so never usually have enough sizable growth on them to be an issue. I'm also a little upset by the fact you think I should be mowing lawns or cleaning windows. That would be just one less person in the industry trying his best to educate the public as I am currently trying to do with the local council. Would you really get out of tree work and go and clean windows if you had to top the odd tree or two or is that just your principles talking?

It was a little harsh reading back, I didn't mean it to sound as bad as that bad and I apologise for that :thumbup1:

I also should have put "some trees can be a future hazard".

I am quite an pratt for doing things right, to my detriment sometimes, but I personally would definately come out of tree work if the only work available was hacking trees.

In a garden enviroment there's a lot more scope for heavily reducing trees with no risk to the public, but imo there is no excuse for hat racking a roadside tree.

Most of the habitat trees you see done on here are properly assessed and there are plenty of examples such as Monkeyd's work, that are fenced off or brashed piled off to prevent public access.

I could cope with hacking them, if there was risk managment in place, but as we all know, most customers have no intention of maintaining the tree, they just want a view, clean gutters or more light.

Unless the tree is being reduced for a reason, ie, reduce wind loading or weight loading on a weakened or veteran tree to get a few more years out of it before it is downed, then I see heavy reductions as bad practice, it certainly isn't good practice and I don't want to be associated or have my name tarnished as such.

I've been going ten years now and have not carried out such work, yet I have a thriving business and others I know round here don't. I have bought my own 1.6 acre yard and have some fancy big kit.

I believe it is how you come across to your customer, how you present yourself and the advise you give that dictates what percentage of jobs you win and it is not just about price or giving in to the customer demands, which I am sure you already know.

My formula for a successful business I have already outlined, but I have also found that the more desirable customer will listen to and respect your advise, the ones that don't are the customers that you really don't want to work for any way :thumbup:

How can you knock them then talk about monoliths and fracture pruning

If they had CORONETS cut in them you would of all been going spot on.

I dont blame the tree guys or galls or the carpet folk it is down to the planners.

Of course the carpet firm want folk passing to see they are there and they do free fitting.

Sadly it will be a miniscule amount of folk that think there wrong.

Personally I would prefer them out but next yr they will look fine

Is it better a butchered tree than NO tree???????

enjoy:thumbup:

Is it better to have a lass with no head than no lass?

:001_tt2: