trusting your accountant......

robbo 110

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go back to your bank and say that you think the cheque has been fraudently cashed and you wish them to investigate it as the recipient has denied receiving funds - that should do it:thumbup:

If it doesn't report it to the police, get a crime record number and tell the accountant that you are doing so, that should get their bums fluttering!

thanks for your replys fellas, some research tonight has revealed that the company i paid was recently wound up by creditors in the name of................. h.m customs & excise!!!!!

i really think im on the road to nowhere with this..... but, i have to give them the chance to refund me.......which i will!!!

another kick up the bum for the bloke who works for his money!!!!!!!

Find out who's doing the winding up - can't think of the term off the top of my head - and get your name on the list of creditors asap. You may get something back eventually, you may not, but there is always the chance.

I hate to say it but having been owed money by several firms that have been wound up I wouldn't hold out your hopes of getting anything back, you will more likely be at the bottom of the list of creditors, at best you will get a small percentage.

Knowing what I do now I dealt with my last two a different way and got paid

I am pretty lucky now as I have an excellent firm of accountants, but as said above I have a book keeper to make sure everything is how it should be, I then go over everything with her before it goes to the accountant, the book keeper is worth every penny of what she charges.

Edited by scraggs

As I understand it you can call yourself an accountant even without qualifications- same as tree surgeon. So watch out- the ones who claim they can save you a fortune in tax are often the ones the taxman investigates. Not only that but it is you who appoints your accountant and it is you who will swing:biggrin:

that is all true but only a chartered or certified accountant can prepare ltd company or plc accounts for filing at companies house (a statutory annual requirement). this doesn't apply to partnership or sole trader accounts as there is no requirement to file these accounts as they are not for public record purposes (just between you and the taxman).

all accountants, qualified or not, have to be registered with HMRC if they are preparing VAT accounts for clients so you can also check to see that they are registered. Checking with ICAEW and ACA the two main trade bodies is also a very good start as is personal recommendation from a trusted friend or acquaintance.