trusting your accountant......

robbo 110

All book keepers should be registered by HMRC as well - the reason is for reporting money laundering and costs my misses £90 per year - can't imagine many know about it but she has done payrol for 30 years and is now self employed but up to date with new legislation.

If the original company has been wound up i.e has gone bankrupt, you will be in a long list of creditors but if the accountands have taken over the old accountants, that is a very different matter.

A book keeper can PREPARE accounts but the end of year accounts MUST be signed off by a registered accountant - the advice is, a book keeper for day to day paperwork and account preparation and an accountant to sign off the accounts.

The book keeper will do all the "dirty" work at a fraction of the cost of an accountant and keeps your costs down - anyone in North Herts want my misses to do their books:thumbup:

Edited by spudulike

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but the end of year accounts MUST be signed off by a registered accountant

Not true at all. I have been self employed (as an individual & also as a company employing up to 5 people) for over 15 years & have done all of my accounts myself.

Cant remember the exact rules on having to have them done by a certified accountant but I think its for large turnovers, LTD & Corporations.

I guess you are VAT registered? It is probably that the businesses my wife does are Ltd companies but her accounts are always signed off by the accountants!

Just because thats what your wife does does mean its law.

I guess you are VAT registered?

Yes I am. Not that that affects needing a certified or chartered accountant.

I dont have to be any more as our turnover is very low. So I am voluntarily registered as we in the main get refunds each quarter as our main sales are VAT exempt, 0% & 5% bands with just my contracting at the full 20%.

:001_rolleyes: So whats your take on "self assessment":001_rolleyes:

Tis something you do in the privacy of your own home and behind locked doors - did i get it right.......did !???:confused1:

Version 2 - it is what I do until the wife finds out and says what I should do:lol: