trusting your accountant......

robbo 110

recently i paid our accountant 'upfront' for some work which was then cancelled by myself due to a change in circumstances, between then & now the accountant has changed business names but uses same address etc, the cheque was cashed but no work has been done by the accountant, talking to them today they claim they have no record of any money paid to them by myself.

i have bank statements to prove otherwise :001_rolleyes:

i no longer trust this firm & will ask for my money to be returned, i have authorised a new agent for my tax affairs,

have any of you guys come across anything like this before?? i am not too happy about the whole situation.

your thoughts please...!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are good and bad in all trades - could be genuine or they may just can't be bothered - hope it wasn't for too much.

The wife does bookkeeping and all I know is the joint bank account is always reconciled to the last penny - she is looking for a new client at the moment.......:thumbup:

for £500 unfortunatly, not a huge amount but by by no means a small amount!! thankyou for the kind offer spud, i have today got a new book keeper in place!!

i have a feeling this will be an awkward one, sole trader vs registred accountancy firm who is now trading under a different name.........

i will chase it though,

for £500 unfortunatly, not a huge amount but by by no means a small amount!! thankyou for the kind offer spud, i have today got a new book keeper in place!!

i have a feeling this will be an awkward one, sole trader vs registred accountancy firm who is now trading under a different name.........

i will chase it though,

trading standards/ cab theyll point you in the right direction

A relative of mine had an accountant a few years back stitch him up. He got was cooking the books for several small business, but for his own gain. It didnt come to light until HMRC did an investigation, working through all his clients, and penalising them all for incorrect returns. The accountant was eventually jailed for 6 years, and banned from trading as an accountant ever again.

I was very cynical about taking on an accountant because of this, but then couldnt cope with it on my own. I now have a very good accountant, she is Chartered, and has insurance to protect herself and her clients. Always check their credentials, talk to other clients of theirs, as you would hiring any other service.

As I understand it you can call yourself an accountant even without qualifications- same as tree surgeon. So watch out- the ones who claim they can save you a fortune in tax are often the ones the taxman investigates. Not only that but it is you who appoints your accountant and it is you who will swing:biggrin:

You are generally better off with a book keeper to prepare your end of year accounts and do the mundane entries and paperwork, leaving your accountant just to check the final accounts and sign them off - this is what happens with my wifes clients - all are happy and saved many bucks by stopping the accountant doing the mundane stuff.

She also sorted out their wayward paperwork - you don't want to piss her off:lol:

More important in a VAT registered business!

i will chase it though,

go and take your flask and crib box and sit in there office (in work clothes) they will soon sought it out:001_smile: