Why is there no money in firewood?

Stereo

Fahrenheit, whilst I wish you all the best with your new venture it is probably early days to be trying to teach `your grandmother to suck eggs` ( I am referring to the more experienced firewood retailers on here not me) when you have not actually made any deliveries at this point.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but to give advice you need to have done it not be going to do it.

I wouldn't say so. A new angle, perspective, approach (and without the potential bias of having always done it like this) can come from anyone.

The grandmothers are struggling just now so I woud be listening out for advice if I were them rather than just think the youngens are being cocky!!!

Good point Stevie!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

It is interesting how some moan about how bad things are and hard it is, but as soon as someone suggests a different approach, the very ones that were moaning shout them down and say the old ways are the only ways.:001_rolleyes:

Mixed loads is the way to go, especially with most of my customers being on log burners. I am in my second year and now processing fire wood and kindling. I kept sales sensible last year, didn't sell out and tried to concentrate on quality. I was advised not to be a "busy fool" (which i nearly did the year before) and not to run out hence losing customers. I think the way forward would be for everyone on here to share prices before October 2011 and try to stick to them. Those that sell cheap will run out, takes 1 bad load 5 mins to lose a customer and can take years to regain them. I have made money, but to make a living need to produce a lot more. I have found offering a variety of products (even if i have to buy some in) improves sales. I worry more about the selling of our forestry and big companies blowing small producers like myself out of the sea? P.S I have learnt a lot on here from new and old members! :)

But I dont see a new approach. Importing timber been done, costs the same as we sell it for ?. I have never found 1.2 cu metres for sale at £55.

Kiln drying been done, not very enviromentally friendly, costly and unnecessary. If a few people import logs it will be good as it may bring down the cost of cord wood. If everyone imports it will be uneconomic to produce logs in this country so it will be the same as coal. Everyone buying in no one employing, no one employed no one to buy the goods.

does everyone out there think that just cause someones been producing logs for 10 years+ they havent changed how they do it, how they market them , how they store, sell etc - were not dinosaurs stuck with axes , alot of us have invested in machinery, improved production etc business is all about change, moving with trends, improving and striving to improve product and production service etc

but theres only so much that can be done to production and selling of firewood imo

we work closely with our friends at fuelwood and have always trialled new machinery/working ways, we were one of the first to trial the vented bulk bags and started with the barrow bags, we were selling firewood in the days when you couldnt give it away, when the housewife was more onto gas than wood,

kindling green had a thread of very similar content not long ago, berating the improvements in production of his kindling etc, when it came down to it his improved technology sounded like all hed done was put his kindlett next to the pile of wood to feed in - again just my opinion but some on heres threads do come across very condiscending and we are not all moaning about no money in firewood, my answers were given to the thread of why when you get into this game your money soon gets eaten up by improvements to the service etc and costs involved

im sure ill get more answers for this reply now :(

joy

Edited by Joy Yeomans
addition

As an "outsider" I had formed the opinion that the there were only two ways to make money from firewood

(i) as a cash byproduct of tree surgery, no income tax no VAT style

(ii) as an out and out bussiness using expensive high productivity machinery, pile em higher, sell em cheaper.

i.e. no room for the wee guy "selling sticks".

And I'm would potentially be the "wee guy"

Sniffle:thumbdown: