Why is there no money in firewood?

Stereo

IME I would say there is around a £30 difference north south per m3 for bulk buys of split hardwood logs.

in the far north cordwood (sw & hw) is quite a bit cheaper to buy in than in the South, BUT, it has to be as there are fewer customers per square mile and delivery distances are much greater. There is obviously less supplyside pressure as well up here.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone producing logs is in the same boat. How to get the best product to the customer while buying shiney toys to save your back but still show a profit. Its only wood :thumbup1:

What shiney toys?.....oh my new splitting maul you mean? :001_cool::laugh1:

What species of hardwood is that?

It's mainly a mix of 3 species, ash, beech and birch.

£55, 1.2 cube, cut, split, seasoned, dumped into the back of my truck....done. It includes VAT.

There's a guy near us doing the same amount for £140 delivered....he's so busy he's been turning all my customers away lately. Hence why i've set up.

Just cant get my head around that!

I quoted the truth and left out the ego massager:biggrin:

I cant juggle or ride a unicycle BUT i have seen it done. I could say, the tyre was flat and the sun was in my eyes :001_rolleyes:

Accepting you dont know how something is done is harder than saying it cant:001_smile:but once you accept it, learn how to or make money of the guys that can.

The guy that owns the Big Top will never hit the tent pegs in:thumbup1:

I quoted the truth and left out the ego massager:biggrin:

I cant juggle or ride a unicycle BUT i have seen it done. I could say, the tyre was flat and the sun was in my eyes :001_rolleyes:

Accepting you dont know how something is done is harder than saying it cant:001_smile:but once you accept it, learn how to or make money of the guys that can.

The guy that owns the Big Top will never hit the tent pegs in:thumbup1:

I was never suggesting the truth wasnt being said! Just writing that i cant get my head around it, i also cant get my head around my neighbour having 4 tractors for 300 acres and we have 1 for 1500 acres but there you go!

I'd love to see an operation big enough to supply wood like is stated, i really would!!

The guy that owns the Big Top will never hit the tent pegs in

That is a good saying but in my experience of supplying gensets at events the man who owns the show runs round like a headless chicken banging pegs in emptying blocked toilets and rallying the troops. The circus is always a total team effort.

I was once on one of 42 large chicken broiler farms. The owner ( a multimillionaire ) got out of his jag rolled up his suit sleeve and unblocked a drain.

The ideal is not always what happens in reality.