Cordless drills, opinions?

Beezy

The only one to consider IMHO opinion is Makita LXT 18v. If you're going to use auger bits etc for gateposts then make sure you get the three speed rather than the two speed. Three years ago I paid £300 with the vat for the three speed drill, an impact driver and two batteries with charger. They are bombproof- I've run the impact driver over with a quad, compact tractor and a van with no ill effects. (all accidentally I hasten to add!)

On sites nowadays I'd say more than a third of equipment is Makita LXT- this speaks volumes about the quality.

Also, consider what other battery tools you might need in the future. All Makita gear can be bought too only, no batteries included. £60 for the impact driver for example. Very good value for money once you've bought the batteries.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makita LXT 18v Li-ion are the dogs *****. I messed around for ages with cheep makes until i got fed up of batteries wearing out running out of power miles from home etc etc etc.

In my opinion as well much better than the dewalt ones ( i have used both).

You can also get circular saws, jig saws etc etc that use the same batteries.

Tom

:thumbup:

i borrowed a 15.6v hilti drill driver of a mate and that was the only drill that has eva had enough power to twist it out of my hands, i droped it bout 3 meters and there wasnt a scratch on it, batteries last ages on a charge ( and this was befor lithium ion).

if you want the idustrial tool the hilti is for you, and then after hilti i would recomend the makita range,

between my friends, brother and myself we have gone through a lot of drills - usually cheaper ones. Now the only thing i would recommend to anyone is the makita lxt kit. 18 volts li ion batterys, make sure its the 3amp stuff. Completely bombproof.

Not the most perfect hammer for drilling into granite but for that i bought one of the makita hammer sds plus drills, eats granite like it aint there with decent drill bits.

So makita - makita and makita for sure.

Makita all the way. Li-ion battery. They will go on and on and on and on when all the others have given up the ghost, including bosch and poncy chippies' festoool. Hilti have a no questions asked lifetime warranty in their favour though. Screw fix are very pricey.