No Notch = No Direction

Mani

Anyway his avatar pic is annoying.

Now I'm really going to have to take issue with you over this Mani. This forum is for everyone regardless of gender, race, or physical abnormality. Just because the guy looks a bit different to everyone else that is no reason to pick on him. In my opinion you are no better than a playground bully who taunts handicapped children. Rupe cant help his long skinny legs and funny hair, and if you cant respect other people on this forum then I suggest you start your own elite forum for "normal looking" proper tree surgeons such as yourself, and leave the 1242 members who do enjoy using this site to get on with it in peace and harmony.

Many people seem to think its the rope that controls the direction when its actually the notch and thickness of the hinge,QUOTE]

You sure about that?

There can be a few other factors like wind, direction of lean and cavities etc that affect the way it goes. A notch and hinge guide it but dont completely control it.

Avatar aside as thats just getting silly. Mani I have not said anything to offend you personally and I have no intention of rising to bait of your rusty panel van comments, (wobbly ladder bit obviously upset me).

The point I'm making is that you use a technique suitable for the location. Nuclear reactors? Of course I'm having a laugh but you get the idea.

Essentially there was no House under that tree so it made no difference what cut they made. It was a training video comparing the differences between step cut and notch cut. Maybe the conclusion they came up with was that a notch cut is better?

I can do intelligent conversation but not often! So I reserve it for special occasions.

Handbags at 10 paces or what!

I can see the point of the original post but everyone is free to do things their way. Personaly if it is on a rope I always put a gob in, I had one hit my foot once and i like the precision of the gob. Each climber has his own favourite cuts and so use what works for you. Forcing people to do things they are not comfortable with could lead to accidents. I have a mate who cuts and holds almost everything, he's really good at it, personally it scares the s41t out of me but he has never broken anything or himself so who am I to argue.