Building a splitter advice please!

Big J

Will do.

One of the main problems in sourcing parts has been finding pulley wheels for the belt that will drive the shaft. Any guidance on that would be appreciated.

The engine is this:

V-Twin 20.0 HP - Briggs & Stratton

What rpm would be best for the splitter? Being 20hp, I would imagine that it's at the high end of what is required, and I should be able to drive a higher rpm to speed things up a bit.

Jonathan

Is yours the vertical shaft or horizontal shaft engine???

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha - I did actually look at that exact advert Robert! It might well be cheaper, but I seem to usually be able to trade things I need for firewood, so maybe it would work out more cheaply to make one.

I've spent the last 10 minutes or so trying to work out what sort pump size I'd need to get a specific pressure on a specific cycle time, but failing miserably to find any info. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jonathan

hi just gone through all this, i know where you are coming from with the cycle times and pressure i had a mate sort it out for me told him the ram diemensions and the cycle time i needed 5/6 secs, got the pump he told me to get put it all together fired it up 6 secs down and back to top and thats powered by a 7hp petter single cylinder £1 a day on cherry. the best addvice i can give you is think long and hard at what need this machine to do for you,5 months on the drawing board mine but it just does nt split logs it does other things that took a lot of working out to incorporate all together,hope this is of some help if you need any more just ask.

Hi Big J, for pulleys and bearings etc I use Hayley Group Plc, I use the one in Norwich but they're nationwide. Whenever I've called them they've been pretty knowledgable and helpful. When you know your shaft sizes and desired gear ratio, give them a call and they'll sort you some pulleys and belts. Twin A section pulleys will probably be ok for 20hp, I'd use cast iron pulleys with a taper bush fitting, they won't slip on the shaft and if you want to change a pulley it's easy.

All the best.

here's my tupence for what its worth! Vertical, waist high table as big as u can, simple log lift once side for big bits. Single speed pump, i've found the ram will return quick enough by the time u've moved the logs about and its cheaper. Get a balance of speed and power, and don't think u need to have it so big it will split anything u put infront it, as the few bits u can't split and have to put the saw through far out weighs the slower cycle times by having more pressure!!! also the one i made myself is pedal operated so u stil have both hands at all times for moving logs, highly HSE unfriendly i guess but much easier to use!!!

Hope that helps!:biggrin:

• 2 years later...