Building a splitter advice please!

Big J

Thanks for the continued help lads - David I might just give you a call when I've got my act together to sort the splitter project out.

I've been run ragged by mental amounts of work lately, so non-essential projects have been put on hold for the time being.

Jonathan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

The splitter project never got off the ground, principally as it seemed that removing the motor from the fridge unit wasn't going to be as straight forward as I would have liked. I do have a forklift now though, so it might well be easier.

However, I now have a Briggs and Stratton 20hp v-twin that I will be turning into a screw splitter. Having watched a few videos of them in action, I realise that they are a bit more dangerous, but I think they are also much quicker (and simpler with less to go wrong).

All I need to do is have a frame built, buy the screw and drive shaft and we are away. I have a lot of large knotty rounds come my way lately, and think this might be just the job.

Does anyone know where to get a screw head from in the UK? The only place that I can find so far are Eastern European sellers on ebay.

Jonathan

The splitter project never got off the ground, principally as it seemed that removing the motor from the fridge unit wasn't going to be as straight forward as I would have liked. I do have a forklift now though, so it might well be easier.

However, I now have a Briggs and Stratton 20hp v-twin that I will be turning into a screw splitter. Having watched a few videos of them in action, I realise that they are a bit more dangerous, but I think they are also much quicker (and simpler with less to go wrong).

All I need to do is have a frame built, buy the screw and drive shaft and we are away. I have a lot of large knotty rounds come my way lately, and think this might be just the job.

Does anyone know where to get a screw head from in the UK? The only place that I can find so far are Eastern European sellers on ebay.

Jonathan

keep us posted with pics - a splitter like this is on my to do list (along with all sorts of other stuff that'll probably never happen :blushing:) .

Other than buying bits from Hycrack or hakki pilke/japa/palax dealer using bits off their models, I think it's the guys on ebay. From what I've seen though they seem to be fairly well priced and reliable to deal with.

Will do.

One of the main problems in sourcing parts has been finding pulley wheels for the belt that will drive the shaft. Any guidance on that would be appreciated.

The engine is this:

V-Twin 20.0 HP - Briggs & Stratton

What rpm would be best for the splitter? Being 20hp, I would imagine that it's at the high end of what is required, and I should be able to drive a higher rpm to speed things up a bit.

Jonathan

why dont you just build one of these...

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/36057-never-seen-splitter-like-before.html

Environment friendly and looks easy to move around. Also wont cost you any fuel to keep it running :thumbup:

Not sure that that would be a great deal of use with the knotty rounds from that Oak you dropped in Barnton the other day!

Will do.

One of the main problems in sourcing parts has been finding pulley wheels for the belt that will drive the shaft. Any guidance on that would be appreciated.

The engine is this:

V-Twin 20.0 HP - Briggs & Stratton

What rpm would be best for the splitter? Being 20hp, I would imagine that it's at the high end of what is required, and I should be able to drive a higher rpm to speed things up a bit.

Jonathan

just been on ebay and there's a german company suppling bits now too.

They reckon on most adverts that 15hp is adequate at 540 pto rpm, but I'd err on the side of caution when gearing it to suit the 20hp engine. If you're going to be doign a lot of knotty stuff then surely it would be more useful having loads of torque rather than just being speedy. Maybe a havign a second pulley for one end to gear it up could be an option, make it swappable btween high speed and high torque.