• Occasionally
    • Every day
    • No Training
    • Yes training should be provided

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not a one handed saw It is a back handled saw to be used only connected to a tree by rope and harness.

Yes i do use it one handed only if I am leaning out on the strop holding the main rope.

No its not, its a top handled saw, thats why the handle is on the top, not the back.

Thats why its called a "ms 200t" or 020t, too us old buggers.

well apart from the above comment, why the mystery? if your that good, where's the book, video and short courses?

please post at least one of your fandangle cuts for us all to view and comment.

:sleep:

:confused1: So are you really saying that the only who are good at any thing are the ones who write a book, make a video or run courses????????

IME, often the complete opposite is true.

I have met a great many people who are very, very good at what they do, but feel no desire to do any of the above and just quietly get on with their lives.

:confused1: So are you really saying that the only who are good at any thing are the ones who write a book, make a video or run courses????????

IME, often the complete opposite is true.

I have met a great many people who are very, very good at what they do, but feel no desire to do any of the above and just quietly get on with their lives.

:congrats:

Yeah, I sometimes use one hand, but thats when I'm being sloppy.

I hate seeing it and don't think threads like this are a good idea. I'm sure a lot of seasoned tree slayers are confident that accidents will only happen to other people, but please think about all the less experienced people who might read this and think one handed is ok cos it aint.

Cutting and holding in my opinion is un-exceptable. When I started, cutting and holding was the norm as long as you didn't cross your arms over the chain. If your good with your step cuts your not going to be working any slower with 2 hands on the saw. I'm not happy to see anyone working on my jobs cutting and holding, frackly I see it as a lack of skill doing the job safely.

Using the saw one handed to free fall sections isn't so bad but does increase the risk of kick back. 2 hands is best. Accidents happen because people use the saw one handed. I know several people who have cut themselves working this way and using the saw with 2 hands would most likely have prevented the accident if not reduced the severity of the cut.

What ever way you look at it, one handed use of a topping saw is more dangerous. If you do it as a matter of course (especially cutting and holding) you need to brush up on your technique.

Please feel free to tell me how great you all are and how in control you are of every situation life throws at you.

Edited by gibbon

there is a time and a place for one handed chainsaw use. at the extremeties of limbs when you physically cannot operate the saw without loosing balance. they are designed to be used one handed in exceptional circumstances [never as an excuse for poor work positioning] and we all have to do this at some stage. one handed use in my opinion should be discouraged unless absoloutly essential. its bad for body because of the strain it puts on your arm and cutting and holding is the cause of so many injuries. infact i would say if someone cuts themself its usually because they were cutting and holding and couldnt hold the weight of the branch so the arm is pulled over the chain. working for a large company ive seen this so many times especially with youngsters trying to work too quickly.

Too right, i work for a Conservation Trust in Shropshire, mainly in woods so most of the time im left alone, but occasionaly the big boss or the local Planning Officer will come an have a look, if i was caught using the 200t with one hand, that would be my career over. It does annoy me however that the young recruits (And even the supervisors) can pretty much cut one handed and no one bats an eyelid, when working on the Council gang..