240 members have voted

1. 1. Have you use a 200t one handed and should training be provided

• Never, not even once
    • Very rarely
    • Occasionally
    • Every day
    • No Training
    • Yes training should be provided

Last month I lifted and reduced a Huge beech from the mewp, the mewp was hired because of the numerous targets beneath the tree and the mewps outreach allowed me to set up the mewp outside the canopy drip line.

The job took me 1.5 hours

Had I not held every single branch and roped them down, the job would have taken all day

At £70 per hour my calculations are slightly different to yours, but hey ho

Step cut hold and throw? Were they all chainsaw cuts on a reduction?

Edited by Matthew Burton
added second point

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step cut hold and throw?

No, they were long spindley ones matt. I ended up having to hold them whilst slewing the mewp back round to a tiny drop zone, which is another practice I do which is frowned upon ( loading the basket ) :biggrin:

...and they were chainsaw cuts yes, so many cuts with a silky would have been knackering and time consuming

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

No, they were long spindley ones matt. I ended up having to hold them whilst slewing the mewp back round to a tiny drop zone, which is another practice I do which is frowned upon ( loading the basket ) :biggrin:

That is a practice i quite like actually :biggrin: Saves major trauma sometimes!

Fair enough, not a situation I've come across in my limited experience. I'm still at the young enthusiastic stage with a handsaw, perhaps I will come over to the dark side one day....

Edited by Matthew Burton

That is a practice i quite like actually :biggrin: Saves major trauma sometimes!

Fair enough, not a situation I've come across in my limited experience. I'm still at the young enthusiastic stage with a handsaw, perhaps I will come over to the dark side one day....

try not to mate. you can still work fast and efficiently while doing the job as safely as you can. you dont have to cut corners and take silly risks. aside from anything else you can always do something radical like use a rope when working over obsticles rather than cut and hold/use one hand! quite straightforward really.:thumbup1:

...and they were chainsaw cuts yes, so many cuts with a silky would have been knackering and time consuming

Dean, I do the same thing with my mewp,thats one area of bad practice that makes the job so much more efficient with one,but If I can hold it with one hand easy then the mewp isnt going to be over loaded.:001_smile:

:dito: Geoff and Dean on the mewp.

Lots of small pieces, easily and quickly cut and held, no need to overload, use which ever hand is most convenient depending on basket position, no need to hold over the bar at all.

Same when I climb as well, when something needs to be held.

Otherwise, rig it.

Tom D summed it up very well, way back in the thread, that there's a time and a place for all techniques, its knowing them, and when to use the right one for any given situation.

There's no one method for use 100% of the time.

Just think about what you're doing, before you do it.

As those of you who have worked with me know, i have my own style of climbing, my own style of cutting, which has slowly developed over years of self taught daily work. i use a wide range of techniques and cuts that are never taught, and probabally never will be, but used with logic and common sence, the risks are minimal.

I have worked with others who have commented that with my confidence and techniques, they struggled to see any H+S risks, or even that 95%+ of my work practices would fail NPTCs.

However, i have worked alongside less experienced climbers who have not the strength or knowledge as myself, who have then jumped straight in at the deep end and tried copying my 'style' to try and keep up with my efficency(not just speed), but without applying common sence or logic, and as a result looked quite frankly dangerous.

If there was to be a ticket for cutting and holding, it should be the hardest, longest most intense ticket going, as some people will never have the sence or ability to do it safety.