• Occasionally
    • Every day
    • No Training
    • Yes training should be provided

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can be done while still turning a profit.

I'm sure you can heak a small profit out of being the slowest tree surgeon in the world Matt, by doing everything by "the book" :biggrin:

I personally would like to get a decent wage out of the job by getting the job done more quickly and just as safely as you and by beating your quotes by doing it in half the time. :thumbup:

I have to disagree.

When do we have the experience to tell us that the branch is too heavy or it isnt safe to cut and hold? Is it after we have had a near miss or an injury?

I find it extremely easy to judge whether a branch will be too big for me to hold

I think if you are that bad a judge, perhaps you should get an office job, it would be a much safer enviroment for you......although I have heard those paper cuts hurt like a bitch :001_smile:

When you refer to training dean do you mean training for one handed use or of cutting and chucking because in the current cs39 candidates have to give reasons of using the saw in exceptional circumstances such as one handed and left handed, they dont have to demonstrate these just explain where and why

The use of one handing is currently only allowable on reaching out to full extent on tip reductions where balance or positioning would otherwise be an issue.

I would like to see holding a branch you are cutting actually taught, not because I think it is good practice, but because is can be carried out safely and it is very very common practice despite people being told it is not good

I find it extremely easy to judge whether a branch will be too big for me to hold

I think if you are that bad a judge, perhaps you should get an office job, it would be a much safer enviroment for you......although I have heard those paper cuts hurt like a bitch :001_smile:

You must just be a far, far better and experience tree cutter than me.:001_smile:

Although maybe you only cut off tiny branches!

I personally would like to get a decent wage out of the job by getting the job done more quickly and just as safely as you and by beating your quotes by doing it in half the time. :thumbup:

How much time does it save per day though? 5 mins - 15 mins? if you had to pay your groundy to wait around an average of 15 mins per day all year (chances are you arent spending a great percentage of your time chainswing in the tree each day) to allow you to either use 2 hands on your saw or use a silky you'd be losing £105 per year (assuming you pay £8 per hour) is it worth the risk?

How much time does it save per day though? 5 mins - 15 mins? if you had to pay your groundy to wait around an average of 15 mins per day all year (chances are you arent spending a great percentage of your time chainswing in the tree each day) to allow you to either use 2 hands on your saw or use a silky you'd be losing £105 per year (assuming you pay £8 per hour) is it worth the risk?

Last month I lifted and reduced a Huge beech from the mewp, the mewp was hired because of the numerous targets beneath the tree and the mewps outreach allowed me to set up the mewp outside the canopy drip line.

The job took me 1.5 hours

Had I not held every single branch and roped them down, the job would have taken all day

At £70 per hour my calculations are slightly different to yours, but hey ho