What happens when the lad has a go !

bjam1964

Does dog tooth go under any other name. Don't know it by that name. Is it the same as a 'boring cut'?

If not would you mind explaining briefly, Thanks.:thumbup1:

its got loads of names pinning, tooth, boring,

its called a dogs tooth cause when you cut through the holding piece at the back you come in at roughly 45% which leaves a bit of wood that looks like a tooth, however some people dont do this but just bor in the side and then saw straight out the back

personally i have never used it, even on weighted large fells, i just get a powerful saw and cut as fast as poss, however i wouldnt advise this unless you know what you are doing

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does dog tooth go under any other name. Don't know it by that name. Is it the same as a 'boring cut'?

If not would you mind explaining briefly, Thanks.:thumbup1:

Yeah its just the bore and release one :001_smile:

EDIT- Matt butler beat me too it haha

its got loads of names pinning, tooth, boring,

its called a dogs tooth cause when you cut through the holding piece at the back you come in at roughly 45% which leaves a bit of wood that looks like a tooth, however some people dont do this but just bor in the side and then saw straight out the back

personally i have never used it, even on weighted large fells, i just get a powerful saw and cut as fast as poss, however i wouldnt advise this unless you know what you are doing

What happens if you hit steel??

A few tips on how a barbers chair can be avoided would also be appreciated.

Do a dogs tooth or get a fast reeving saw and go for it

Ha Ha,

Sometimes I can be such a knobber,

The first time I read your post, I thought you were asking for advice.

It was only a bit later it occured to me you were giving it.

Glad I didn't offer a few patronising pearls of wisdom :lol:

Bjam thanks for such an honest post, and Leyburn Lad for taking the time to share your story. You may well have saved someones life between you, if people take heed of this thread.

I won't recommend any certain cut because every tree has different lean/ground/weight/condition etc.

The only thing I can usefully add is that I have found Ash much more brittle (and therefore susceptible to sudden fracture and BC'ing) when it is very cold (freezing or just above).

Take care fellas. Let's all go home at night.

Good thread.