does anyone run their chipper on red diesel?

Pete Hart

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run it on red but keep in mind there are 3 types of red, marine gasoil (CN35), 35sec gasoil (~CN46), and ultra low sulphur gasoil AKA: city gasoil (>CN51)

Most of what you find on farms, quarries, in plant or in some central heating tanks is 35sec gasoil (~CN46) AKA red diesel which doesn’t conform to BS EN590 like DERV dose, only ultra low sulphur gasoil (>CN51) conforms to BS EN590 and cost a couple of pence more per 1L vs. 35sec gasoil.

Consequently you will get a marginal power increase over 35sec gasoil by using ultra low sulphur gasoil (or DERV) due to the high cetane number, also you will get better cold starting beneath 0degC and less smoke, also like DERV it has 10 times less sulphur PPM, also winter additive in DERV & ultra low sulphur gasoil to stop waxing generally goes ~3degC lower than that of 35sec gasoil.

Edited by b101uk

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread a bit but me and couple mates ( one of them a proper don't give a **** type ) where discussing the use of red in road going vehicles and what fines are involved of you get caught , none of us knew the correct awnser, I'm sure they confiscate vehicle and crush it but then I was informed by one of my argumentative Mates that was bo****ks. Anyone know the truth ?

Thanks