How often do you sharpen ?

Les Cork

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have thrown away loads of chains and started again, if i have been hitting loads of steel in a trunk or stones the day before and i had to spend loads of time sharpening, i reward myself with a new one

No,no,no!!

I get a real buzz out of getting a chain with tiny teeth that are right on the little marker line too rip through the timber!!!:thumbup:

The secret it to hit the raker's real hard:thumbup1:

new chains are nice, stay sharp for ages and look ace (nice big cutters) i was wondering the other week if i could replicate the polished surface of the filed bit to make it last longer after filing but then i laughed and thought yeh right its not like i sharpen mine that often anyway.. unless i blunt one using it and sharpen it there and then i just give all the saws to my bro approx once a week for a blast out and proper sharpen, he likes doing them to perfection and makes him some extra cash:001_cool:

We have 3 saws all with atleast 3 spare chains. We sharpen them whenever we use them to keep them in top condition. Even if we dont hit any stones we sharpen them. Sounds a waste of time but a sharp chain is better than a semi sharp or blunt one. We had a massive sort out of chains a couple of years ago as our big boss had sharpened them after smacking concrete and big stones. They cutters were long of oneside and short on the other. the assistant threw those as they were not safe to use for felling or snedding.

Why not just file the long ones down and carry on as normal?

If I hit somthing and it damages one side i always bring in the other to match and adjust rakers, people who leave my chains like that file or off the rakers, mess up the pitch and angles are why i dont let people touch my chains but as you have probably guessed I get very anal about them!! and am sad enough to admi that i find great pleasure when the chips fly and the saw goes through like a knife through butter!

If I am in the woods i guess probably 4 times a day i will touch the saw up.

I try to start the day with sharp chains and then as I sharpen as I need to druing the day if i need to .

I find there is a big difference in the make of files you get I use to use stihl files but found they for me wrere rubbish just had no grind on them at all it was like using a file that was finsihed before you even got it out of the box so changed to Oregon an amazing difference in the file now they sharpen with in a few strokes .

Littletree:thumbup: