greedy? would you be happy?

sloth

Wow, big response! Appreciate the replies guys :001_smile:

Rich you are right, its £78 a day, before tax.

And I understand the stresses being a boss brings. I don't really resent him doing/having the things he does, its just I feel worth more than a labourer with no quals, and a climber with only a years experience. Also, I do a lot more/hard work and put myself out more than most (starting early and finishing late to do maintenance fix and sharpen tools that others have left) and don't ask for the extra bits I do; I've been doing it since I started because I want to help out, and if I don't pick up others slack I get in the neck as I've been there longer, and would appreciate a bit more thanks for it. As he rarely if ever verbally thanks me, financially has been suggested:001_tt2:

Anyway before I ramble again I have discussed my concerns with him but they have fallen on deaf ears. Ive always done weekend work when I can, but it was agreed when I first started that I wouldn't, which means I have to turn down weekend work for him because I can earn more elsewhere. I am seriously considering going it alone:confused1: bit scary, but I feel I have to, and hey, all bosses start somewhere, and youth is still just about on my side!:thumbup1:

Thanks again everyone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may not be the best wage going but it is guarenteed, you know that each week you are getting £x to feed the wife and kids and you will be in every evening and weekend to spend time with the family.

Maybe the bosses wife has a cracking job and all the holidays are paid for by her? Has his great aunt Mildred just pegged it and left him a fortune or a villa in the algarve that he goes to?

i was in the same sort of situation as you and i did go of on my own in the end BUT be prepared to work for alot less and work more hours if you do go off on your own . i have spent all of this week out on site working then spent all of today untill 8 in the workshop servicing kit and repairing kit and i will be back out there tomorow first thing for most of the day finnishing off what i did today followed by sorting out all the kit we need for mondays job .

Also i would be very crefull going of on your own in todays current financial limate , if where you are is anything like down here then every man and his dog are becoming tree surgeons

One thing to add that I have not seen mentioned is that unless it is covered by legislation (eg minimum wage, hours, etc) or in your Contract of Employment (and / or other written evidence) then any wage increase is down to the discretion of the employer irrespective of any verbal agreement at interview. I have been caught by this a couple of times and so learnt the hard way. Verbal agreements are only as good as the memory of the Boss ;).

One thing to add that I have not seen mentioned is that unless it is covered by legislation (eg minimum wage, hours, etc) or in your Contract of Employment (and / or other written evidence) then any wage increase is down to the discretion of the employer irrespective of any verbal agreement at interview. I have been caught by this a couple of times and so learnt the hard way. Verbal agreements are only as good as the memory of the Boss ;).

which im most cases is selective and mainly one sided lol , i worked for a guy and when ever anyone mentioned a pay rise he would reply " i am currently reviewing it" i got sick of this so asked him when this review would determin whether any of us were ever going to see a pay rise, his answer - hmmm best i review that too !!!!

no harm to keep an eye open for other jobs about

although you are only worth what someone is willing to pay you! and you dont want to suffer the ol out of the fire into the frying pan scenario.

good luck as working hard and feeling under valued can get you down,

a good boss makes all the diffenence imo worth looking for.

carl

Got to say i agree whole heartedly with Mr Blairs post. They're out there probably pricing work whilst you're at home with your family. I found that i needed more money so started doing bits and pieces evenings and weekends and you'd be surprised how much money you can make and how satisfying it is to firstly get, then carry out and complete your own work. It would also help you to understand what your boss goes through pricing work, and not always getting it, also as stevie said maintaining all the kit and then awaiting payment whilst you have had to pay the money out to whomever has helped you!! Also then having to chase money as some people really don't want to pay sometimes.

Sounds to me like you are not happy with many things about this job. Is a pay-rise really going to be a cure-all? If you have a lot of time in with the guy you work for, it may be worth talking to him to try and solve your problem but only you know if that is viable.If I was in your position, then I would start discretely looking around for an alternative but make sure you aren't just jumping from one bad situation to another. It's the beauty of the free market; he can pay what he likes( within legal constraints) and behave as he likes (likewise) as, after all, it is his firm but you are free to leave and work for someone else who you feel treats you better.

You sound like a valuable employee IMO, if all you are saying is correct.

Do you get on well with the boss, and do you like the firm, the area, the work you get and could see yourself there for longer, and have a future there if niggles are sorted?

If so, have you thought about speaking to your boss to see if there is the opportunity for a share/investment future partnership. This would be a professionally written up docu that explains everything, and then the extra hours or effort you put in, may not immediately be rewarded financially, but they would have an effect on the firms work output, and image leading to more work and your investment shares increase?

Just a thought as not ben mentioned yet.

Good luck mate, grass isn't always greener. Fact.

I would be interested to know what people think is an acceptable financial uplift for a climber compared to a non climber.

In another life I served my time as an engineer. Post apprenticeship my pay rocketed but I was still paid less than the machine greaser and his service meant he was entitled to a week’s more holidays that I. Later in life working for a LA, I was paid slightly less than the bloke riding a mowing machine.

So let’s assume our climber has NPTC’s only, how much more is he worth? and how much more is he worth with say NPTC’s and an ND?

Personally I think the only chance you have of getting what you believe you are worth is to fly your own flag, and as others have said that’s not a sure thing.

All in all I am another subscriber to the wisdom of Blair

Andy