New woodchipper reccomendations

grenadier

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We took down a walnut today, i did not have to sned one branch with the vermeer Bc 200, it demolished everthing we put into it. Its funny that so many many mention greenmech, timberwolf etc but rarely consider Vermeer, is there a reason for this?

Great machines and there is also bandit too.

its the weight I have a vermeer bc150 for small works its a good chipper but i hava had alot of downtime on this machine. I pick my new bandit 1090 up this friday.

The main reason for GreenMech and TW getting the mentions is that they are,by and large, the best selling machinery. I can remember back in the mid 1980's that QuickChip (Tunnisen) was the weapon of choice and that was before Entec or GreenMech existed. I can also remember the Turner badged machines (Gandini) and Rivett Chippers (Bandit) and I still shudder at the thought of the Exenco machines that Jim Wilkie was peddling back then, the Gibbs WoodChuck still has the hairs standing on end too.

Vermeer was also a there with machines like the 935, but they seem to have lost the way a bit in the last 10 years with not having a quality 6" machine that weighed in at sub 750kgs. But, at the end of each day, Vermeer make good machines that suit their market!, The States. Bandit go the same way too. Vermeer are a massive company which manufacturer an awful lot of very different bits of kit and unfortunately , the 6" market is too small for them!

• 1 year later...
We took down a walnut today, i did not have to sned one branch with the vermeer Bc 200, it demolished everthing we put into it. Its funny that so many many mention greenmech, timberwolf etc but rarely consider Vermeer, is there a reason for this?

Great machines and there is also bandit too.

Just like to retract my statement!! I have found out the reason over the last 200 hrs of ownership why no one mentions them!!!!!

I regularly use a very new Timberwolf 190 turbo and i wouldn't buy one, the main bearing carrier on the engine stripped all its threads and fell off, leaking lots of oil at barely 100 hours. The feed rollers jam really easily sometimes on very very small pieces of wood and the mechanism gets filled up with chip and jams the rollers at funny angles and half pen etc far too regularly for my liking. also the hopper is too small and the controls are positioned such that to get to them when a large branch has hit the stop bar you have to reach through said branch and get battered as it starts pulling it in again.The Twin sided teeth are a good idea though.

Compared to feeding my own 935i a good ten years its senior and far cheaper and more reliable. its very slow and struggles to handle the bigger wood. similar sized schlising and Jensen machines have impressed me far more than the 190 and that's where i'd look to spend my money....If not on an older bigger, better built machine from America....

if your buying a 6 inch, get one with a wider than 6 inch opening. will have your hours and hour and hours of time on jobs and $ on fuel.

2 of my chippers are 6x12's and one is a 6x6. The 6x6 chips well, but takes about 40% more chipping time to get jobs done, and thats with the guys spending extra time cutting stuff up before feeding it.

I worked out it took 11 months for the 6x12 upgrade to pay itself off in saved manhours and fuel over the 6x6.

Been using a greenmech cm220 and it has payd for itself ten times over, the build quality is superb, everything has been looked at and I can see the engineering quality every time I look at it, we have replaced the blades and sent the old ones for resharpen, and replaced the drawbar ram as it blew a seal when we had brake sharp to avoid accident on the road. Other than the usual service of engine we haven't had a single problem with it.

Had a Jenson pto one before and it sucked in comparison, best thing we ever done was to change it for a greenmech.

Haven't heard much about the tracked choppers going wrong before. But then the old saying "look after your machine and she will look after you" is never far from my mind.