New woodchipper reccomendations

grenadier

I bought a GM 15-23 (35hp) a couple of years ago.

It's under 750 kg, it hammers its way through just about anything that will fit in it.

In all that time it has NEVER blocked.

For the price I recon its 10 times better than the equivalent TW machine in terms of speed, no need for snedding and never blocking. The disc bladed do actually last 90 hours before needing sharpening (The TW ones used to last me 8 hours) - though 4 discs instead of 2 blades.

Everyone on my crew think the GM is miles better.

Must be honest and say I've never used any of the more expensive machines, I guess they would be even better - but at GM prices I'm well chuffed with the quality.

thats the end of the adverts , now back to the film.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crikey. You wil be disappointed with TW if you are used to schleising, and IMO Jensen are alot better than TW too, esp in the area of bearings. There are a million threads on arbtalk about TW bearings.

The 190 is a 9" machine too BTW. The 150 is the 6".

I am a vermeer fan meself.

the 190 is a 7 and a half inch machine

i use a tw190 daily and i hate the daym thing. the rollers just like to ull stauff againgst the anvil rather tahn into the blades,, to the point id say that the old 6 inch jensen i used to use would swallow more, the tw dosnt like any forky bits , (we have 2 tw190 and there both the same) we are going to trial andother jensen equililant this year...

The gm disc blades are 100 hours before turning and they can be turned 3 times. To each set should last 300 hours before sharpen or change.

Have seen a gm go bad once, wasn't our machine but a local tree surgeon and he hired ours out for his job, the main bearing had gone throwing the flywheel out smashing into the anvil and taking out the rollers hydraulic pumps and lines aswell as wrecking the body work.

Looked like a bomb had been thrown into it. Always keep on top of greasing the machine and weekly checks.

Never had a big greenmech and tbh always steered clear, did have a cs100 but barely used it. Although today the local greenmech dealer did give me a call for a chat which always goes down well with me. My BC200xl has done approximately 230hrs, its been back to vermeer 7 times, the first time was at 8hrs, its almost caught fire, the solenoids stopped working, its sheared bolts, they bent the back on delivery, it shakes itself to bits when you start it, it dropped loads of hydraulic oil on a clients drive, the insulation in the bonnet dropped over the exhaust and melted to the engine, the electrics dropped on the exhaust and melted through and now the hydraulics have got to the point that the infeed rollers struggle to pull wood through. This wouldnt be so bad if i hadnt let vermeer know in december that it had this problem and its not fixed yet!!!! I did get a free pen though with Vermeer on the side which i have to say is working well!!

For 23k i did expect slightly less hassle! grrrrrr rant over!

The machine is a 7.5 inch chipper, but i think a vermeer under 9 inches are just not worth it. Even their turntable thing is a practicle joke!

The bandit 75 is a good little machine, we demo'd one (as you can probably see why), the turbo engine has a decent amount of grunt but sat next to the 200 it didnt keep up although i am now willing to take that hit!!!!