How do you climb?

mikedrums69

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just interested to know what the rest of you climb with?

At college i was taught to climb with two climbing lines. I.e. one main one and another shorter line (5m) both coming off my centre D on my harness and only using the side D's with a strop while on pole.

But now i find myself climbing on one main climbing line coming off my centre D and a 5m strop with either end connect on side D's on all my climbs.

Most of the people i work with also climb like this.

Anyone use two climbing lines?

Mike

I use the same set up, works fine but if you slip when your clipped into just your side ds it can jar your lower back not nice

i climb on 37m of yale xtc on prussik loops, i have a small 18m shortline for small stuff, and a 10m line for fruit trees, i use a 4.5m soft lanyard on a distel and pulley, and a 3m wirecore on distel and pulley for chogging, i very rarely use 2 anchors on my main line, only if its a big horizontal branch without much to hold onto, or if its a wet slippery day, i use a fishermans for all my termination knots, and use timber hitches, running bowlines and half hitches for rigging.

I learnt to use both ends of the climbing line with either a blakes or prussic. I also had a 3 strand side strop 2 meters long with a prussic on it.

I now climb on a 37m of Yale XTC fire with either a blakes or VT depending on the tree. I have a yale XTC side strop which is 5 meters and always has a VT on it.

I've treied a few other ropes but like the yale ones. I loved my Samson Velocity till someone decided they needed it more than i did and took it. Could only use a prussic on that the VT always jammed up.

I use 3 strand with the 3 knot system and both ends of the rope :lol: Nah but thats how i started must be 15 years ago! Just use main line to suit tree height 50m,25m or 15m with prussik loops off main D and flipline on sides when spiking/cutting (wire core of course) branch walks sometimes use long splittails and slings for repos. Keep it simple i say. oh and spikes wherever i can get away with it!!:thumbup:

Free climb bady YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

2x40m rope on french prussic with micro pully system for the large stuff, then a 30m yale using the same system either end for smaller usually line work. with my wee dangly sidstrap rapping itself around my bloody feet. Dam that side strap but i love it.