Vermeer 625i old but still good?

Billy

I'm inthe market for 2nd hand chipper i was originally looking to spend about 4-5k on one but have since been offered an old 625i with the Kohler petrol engine. it belongs to a mate's boss its old and alittle rusty but apparently still works alright. They look pretty overbuilt to me like not alot will go wrong but though ti best check on here as someones bound to have owned or used one in its formative years and can offer up some valid opinions. its only £1500 which seems awfully cheap, but if they're still good then i don;t see why i shouldn;t keep a bit more money in the bank:thumbup1:

Bite his arm off mate. I have one, and have had it for 10 years. I put a deutz twin cyl diesel on it almost as soon as i got it, (the kohler was knackered, but i paid only £1k) and havent touched it since. It has no no-stress, but as you say its so overengineered that it doesnt need it. B-Trac (vermeer uk) are incredibly helpful too. You wont be disappointed i reckon, and could do a hell of a lot worse for your money.

Bite his arm off mate. I have one, and have had it for 10 years. I put a deutz twin cyl diesel on it almost as soon as i got it, (the kohler was knackered, but i paid only £1k) and havent touched it since. It has no no-stress, but as you say its so overengineered that it doesnt need it. B-Trac (vermeer uk) are incredibly helpful too. You wont be disappointed i reckon, and could do a hell of a lot worse for your money.

Got to agree with that, Really good machine imo, Yes, getting on abit now BUT if its in decent nick, It will be fine, look at the money you will save, Id keep some of that money aside tho and like Tom says, Put a diesel engine on at some point, At that price, Id have it in a flash!! :thumbup1:

Sounds like a bargain to me

Great machine but mind how you go down tall kerbs and around bends at any speed. The narrow track means the tip over easier than something with a wider track. On the plus side the narrow track means they are easy to stow in a garage or shipping box.

I`ve got one at the moment.

Fantastic chipper almost bombproof. However the kohler engine although reliable is alloy so watch out for bolts snapping on older models as did on my first engine. I got a new engine from universal power for £1400 next day delivery fitted it myself and its like a new machine. Downtime was only 2 days I think.

I also had the axle widened so its not going to top over like the standard ones do.

Its all well and good converting it from a petrol to a diesel but you have to mess around finding an engine, getting someone to figure out how to mount it and get it to work with all the other gubbings, which would mean more downtime, and possibe parts being difficult to get.

I can get everything for mine next day delivery!!

I remember when I started out how the older narrower models went over all the time... would cost around £2k to repair (Ouch!) but the later models had wider axles. Apart from that they seemed to do the job, and at that price... go for it. And don't forget to get a wheel clamp and a chain.... AND USE THEM!!!

brilliant machine for the money if you speak to kevin or martin at Vermeer uk they will tell you all about them i have always rated them. They are a bit on the heavy side so if you have not got a pre 97 license to drive then could pose a problem. But at that price this still sounds like a cracking deal.