School holidays.

Mick Stockbridge

i am finding this, i had a flurry of work before the holidays started, im down to 6-7 jobs at the moment which is scary.........

and they are all spaced apart too. i have a whole week off in august at the moment. not good atall.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the whole I think work has been just as poor this year as last year if not worse.

The amount of cuts the government are making will only make it worse imo. There area load more jobs to go in the public sector.

Ditto Mozza about bored kids out on the rob, have to keep more of an eye out. :thumbdown:

Mick the upside for you with quiet roads is the downside for us, feels like the country and their caravans have descended on us down 'ere at the mo, still I guess it only lasts six weeks, feels like a v long six weeks tho:biggrin:

Im pretty steady at the moment, just when you think it goes quite then more jobs come in. then there is the 100 tonne of fire wood waiting to get split. i have my employee on a zero hours contract so if there aint no work then he dont get paid. may seem harsh but i aint loosing my house to keep someone in work.

On the whole I think work has been just as poor this year as last year if not worse.

The amount of cuts the government are making will only make it worse imo. There area load more jobs to go in the public sector.

Ditto Mozza about bored kids out on the rob, have to keep more of an eye out. :thumbdown:

I'd second that and the other problem has been getting paid for what work there is to do, on the plus side, school hols meant I had my 8 year old nephew stacking logs for me yesterday :laugh1::thumbup1:

Presume that the lack of work is due to the school holidays and the funds being spent on the kids also last week in July and the first week in August is traditionally the 'factory fortnight' so presume more people are away and if not perhaps don't want some big hairy guy climbing around in their trees!! Hope things pick up for you guys that are struggling for work.

New private work enquiries has died completely, just working our way through work gathered up in May June. Commercial work we are finding slightly busier than last year. This may be due to where we are pushing ourselves forward for work. We find that we are really upping the game with existing commercial customers - responding to their needs much quicker - before they change their minds.

I do think the writing is on the wall for the start of next year though! I would say that its our commercial maintenance work that will carry us through. Bread and butter work, no great margins just the basics and we are always ready to jump in when an extra appears.

It's been harder to get a "bit of fat" on the books this year to live of during the winter months. We're running 5 squads with 12 men outfit so we tend to devour work when the days are dry. 20 years in business this month, I started during a reccession, its all about keeping your head, taking work where you can get it and be able to slash costs/overheads when you need to.