Worst job you ever had?

Shane

It's a tie. Making brushes (bog brushes, yard brushes, tooth brushes) which was feeding a machine with stocks and bristles and trying not to get your hand punched with bristles and the other was working at Crowthers nurseries in Horncastle pulling up thousands of sapling trees for the FC, sizing, bundling and tying. All in a freezing paddock in winter. Hated it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started working at 10 years old and have always had a job ever since (30 years on and going strong). In that time I have had some great jobs, and several terrible ones! Here are some of the highlights:

Night shift in a frozen pie factory (picking them off the floor and packing into boxes)

Night shift in an industrial bakery

Selling bags and suitcases in a shop

Selling windows by telesales (only managed 5 days!)

Working in various office jobs

Delivering white goods on multi-drop

There are others that were a bit lousy, but each of these jobs in their own way were particularly difficult.

Much happier in the mud, sweating hard, lifting heavy and getting sore hands, or more likely nowadays, sitting in the warm, pondering technical solutions and making another brew...

Used to work digging out floor spaces in council properties..rip out floor boards,dig down through the clay by hand about 6 courses of brick then barrow fresh stone in. Used to average 80-120 ton of stone per house. All shovelled in by barrow. Back breaking. Tree work a doddle physically in comparison.

As an apprentice agricultural engineer, going round to the little farms to service their combines, starting them up , putting everything into gear and rats running out and dead ones falling out of the elevators.Then as im the apprentice its my job to climb in the back , sliver down to the belly of the machine and replace the rubber curtain.

Worked in a call centre when I was about 16 for 1 hour, the guy who was training me put on a voice like Dracula on one phone call and was a complete and utter nob, who was either full of cocaine or had some serious anger problem. I got up to go for a slash and he started shouting abuse at me, I walked out completely gob smacked. Saw him about 3 years later outside a pub drenched in his own sick and thought "looks about right".

As an apprentice agricultural engineer, going round to the little farms to service their combines, starting them up , putting everything into gear and rats running out and dead ones falling out of the elevators.Then as im the apprentice its my job to climb in the back , sliver down to the belly of the machine and replace the rubber curtain.

i wonder how many combines have been set on fire after rats and mice have eaten the wiring it amazes me what rats like to gnaw on oil soaked rubber seems to be a favourite for them