Bugs, bees and beasties- Bio-diversity matters

White Noise

Found these in a back garden we where in today, taking down a silver birch

Firstly a Cimbex femoratus - sawfly larvae in second stage I think

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Apparently, not very common any more, hope the little dude is ok after we took his birch tree down:blush:

Sent from my Galaxy S2

• 2 months later...

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Not for the arachnophobics on here. I am getting better with spiders. I just dont like the ones which suddenly appear or the ones which skuttle across the floor. This beauty was spotted in the garage and has been residing in there for 5 years. Going to have to ask for rent soon.:lol:

027.jpg.2a9f2aadda141ae7623016e26f980c8f.jpg

026.jpg.6b03b8b6a271463f538422ea2785eb27.jpg

Having bought this place in 1995, to get a site to build, I rationalize that I paid back nature by letting 2 of the fields, about 17 acres "revert", no human intervention, other than spraying for rushs (it is all cut-out Moss)a couple of times.

Plus planting native specis trees and hedging, and opening over-deep over-wide sheaughs that will only require attention every 20 years or so.

The Mrs. put in a mixed veg and flower garden, but uses no chemicals.

Virtually nowt goes out the lane in the black bin, all composted or eaten by dogs and recycled.

From being a virtually empty landscape 15 year ago, round the house is absolutly bursting with birdlife, incl jackdaws in the uncapped chimneys.

House martins and swallows plus tits galore and the occ goldfinch.

Rabbits too, were none when we bought, I like to see them even though they mowed down 80 of my oak seedlings and are apparently fond of the wifes black Kale.

Garden is absolutly buzzing with bees.

It is a pure simple pleasure to sit with a cuppa (getting old, it would have been a beer, sigh) and listen to the hum/buzz/background soundtrack.

PS

Need to attract or kidnap some hedgehogs.

And Ducks for the slugs.

Cheers

Marcus

PPS

Almost Biro pen sized exit holes in some logs I had lying a while,rotting/ rotten conifer, with 20/25mm long whitish grubs still inside of some.

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS

Keeping a pet Rat or six beneath the steps at the back door/in among the years old log pile in the back of the shed, he getting quite cheeky sauntering out unabashed for a liesurely nibble at the dog food.

I shotgunned one a few years ago but it was hardly "fair", felt bad about it.

Edited by difflock

Got this great pic of a wood wasp on my log pile yesterday. If you zoom in you can see its egg laying thingy...laying eggs?[ATTACH]128781[/ATTACH]

Cracking shot mate, there noisy little buggers I know that much :) not seen one for a while now mind 😕

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk Mobile App

Cracking shot mate, there noisy little buggers I know that much :) not seen one for a while now mind 😕

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk Mobile App

It was around all day again yesterday, had a strange fascination to the rolly door on my landy? Buzzzz...smack! Nature eh?...