Bugs, bees and beasties- Bio-diversity matters

White Noise

Wow...that's impressive indeed Sean- nice one ! They would never survive the uk winter. Varroa would also, very quickly , decimate the strength of any feral colony, to the point of destruction actually !

The birds eat my bees on a daily basis here during the nesting season. I am the only one amongst my neighbours to keep the hedges and grass "unkempt", which attracts alot of urban and mundane wildlife. Whole areas of the city have no sparrows can you believe?

Sparrows feed on the bees, and even a sparrowhawk has picked off a sparrow in front of my eyes...! Still...I might see about keeping the hedge a bit shorter next year....lol !

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Probably in the wrong section but here goes. There was a cracking piece of land adjacent to our flagship site. It had Lesser Butterfly, Common Spotted and Green winged Orchids and vast tracys of Buddliea. This is what is left. :thumbdown: Pretty gutting to be honest. Will see what comes up (if anything during the spring and summer).

064.jpg.a287c40c0e86ee20f7b5cec4cae9f8b3.jpg

063.jpg.d3eb7834470769f834396e7491651074.jpg

Probably in the wrong section but here goes. There was a cracking piece of land adjacent to our flagship site. It had Lesser Butterfly, Common Spotted and Green winged Orchids and vast tracys of Buddliea. This is what is left. :thumbdown: Pretty gutting to be honest. Will see what comes up (if anything during the spring and summer).

What was the damage in aid of? :confused: hope something can spring back...

What was the damage in aid of? :confused: hope something can spring back...

Not sure. There had been problems in the past with drug users in the thick buddleia stands. But with the amount of damage caused i wouldnt be surprised if it will be just nettle and brambles coming up. I am hoping with amount of chewing up with has occured it will have opened up the seed bank.

Not sure. There had been problems in the past with drug users in the thick buddleia stands. But with the amount of damage caused i wouldnt be surprised if it will be just nettle and brambles coming up. I am hoping with amount of chewing up with has occured it will have opened up the seed bank.

Hopefully some good can come of it :thumbup:

the irony is that this situation is exactly what produces the habitats butterflies need, all the pioneering species succsesions that will occur hear will see them return, maybe not too long before they do iether. some budleja and rose bay willow herb birch etc will soon fill it in and be buzzing with life.:thumbup1:

the irony is that this situation is exactly what produces the habitats butterflies need, all the pioneering species succsesions that will occur hear will see them return, maybe not too long before they do iether. some budleja and rose bay willow herb birch etc will soon fill it in and be buzzing with life.:thumbup1:

When everything starts growing again i shall get fortnightly pictures unless the land owner puts a fence around it. It has had permissive access for as long as i can remember and has good access of the old railway line.

• 2 months later...