Starting out climbing when your older.

Mike Hill

I believe It's about your ability to listen, learn and assimilate new skills.

It's about attitude to criticism and advice.

Age is irrelevant, who is to say who will be better in years to come a 22 year old when he reaches 27 or a 40 year old when he reaches 45?

I'm 42 have just started out after 24 years in the Marines. I am as fit as people half my age and have no fear of risk (physical or business risk) it is just my attitude to it that has changed with age and life experience.

I am not the quickest and have no desire to be, i do have a desire to learn all i can from all who can teach, old or young. I do have a determination to be the best that i can be.

If that means i have to stay on the ground dragging whilst i watch and learn from a 20 year old then so be it! But knowledge dispels fear and the more you do the more you learn to push the envelope without injury to yourself or your professional reputation.

To quote:

"Technique and ability alone do not get you to the top; it is the willpower that is the most important. This willpower you cannot buy with money or be given by others..it rises from your heart" Junko Tabei-1975 after becoming first woman to climb Ever

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well well well, i go out with my wife for the 2nd time in 5 years and i miss this, this doesnt help her chances in 3 times in 5 years guys.

if we are talking about making money with a saw then skill with it has nothing to do with it, business is business and the best salesman wins. So older guys with some brains will do better than any young buck.

BUT this thread is about the abuility to be a CLIMBER and the guys that have been in the trade for a while know the true definition of this. I started felling at 19, climbing at 22 and was running my own biz at 23, i lost the EDGE when i became a dad at 30, because i know there is so much more to life than flying around a tree with guns n roses/A team anthem going on in my head.

But if Mike was my boss i would of walked into his office the day i had mt big fright and handed in my notice as i lost my bottle, if i didnt my productivity would of slowed down and either have to take wage cut or of been given a gaffers job.

I know where Mike is coming from and old Stevie would agree with him, but this Stevie would give the older wiser Ady's of the world a job tomorrow:thumbup1:

well well well, i go out with my wife for the 2nd time in 5 years and i miss this, this doesnt help her chances in 3 times in 5 years guys.

if we are talking about making money with a saw then skill with it has nothing to do with it, business is business and the best salesman wins. So older guys with some brains will do better than any young buck.

BUT this thread is about the abuility to be a CLIMBER and the guys that have been in the trade for a while know the true definition of this. I started felling at 19, climbing at 22 and was running my own biz at 23, i lost the EDGE when i became a dad at 30, because i know there is so much more to life than flying around a tree with guns n roses/A team anthem going on in my head.

But if Mike was my boss i would of walked into his office the day i had mt big fright and handed in my notice as i lost my bottle, if i didnt my productivity would of slowed down and either have to take wage cut or of been given a gaffers job.

I know where Mike is coming from and old Stevie would agree with him, but this Stevie would give the older wiser Ady's of the world a job tomorrow:thumbup1:

i find it hard to take any of this seriously whilst you're sucking your thumb:biggrin:

Age is irrelevant, who is to say who will be better in years to come a 22 year old when he reaches 27 or a 40 year old when he reaches 45?

I'm 42 have just started out after 24 years in the Marines. I am as fit as people half my age and have no fear of risk (physical or business risk) it is just my attitude to it that has changed with age and life experience.

I am not the quickest and have no desire to be, i do have a desire to learn all i can from all who can teach, old or young. I do have a determination to be the best that i can be.

If that means i have to stay on the ground dragging whilst i watch and learn from a 20 year old then so be it! But knowledge dispels fear and the more you do the more you learn to push the envelope without injury to yourself or your professional reputation.

To quote:

"Technique and ability alone do not get you to the top; it is the willpower that is the most important. This willpower you cannot buy with money or be given by others..it rises from your heart" Junko Tabei-1975 after becoming first woman to climb Ever

This dudes driven, and will make a good climber!

would you give me a job:001_tt2:

i think this is a good point. i dont think an arborist needs to be particularly fit....i know im certainly not.

i think the key thing in climbing is aggression...but more importantly channelling that aggression.........it can go 1 of 2 ways....make you fustrated and do a poor job(to the point of giving up)....or if channelled properly, see you fight through the most arduous task you can think of.

hope that makes sense(it does in my head):001_smile:

Spot on!!

"Bloody minded" I call it.

To quote:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

well said...