How would you dress for an interview for a job in arb?

will.morris

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ask! simples. what ever they suggest, make sure you are smart and tidy looking. you dont know the personal preference of your potential boss. if you look scruffy and drag your feet then it would annoy me from 100m away. always have your ppe with you and a packed lunch, stopping for lads to go to the shop is a pest. but i would inform all new lads what i was expecting though

My one and only arb "interview" consisted of a days trial, and just general chit chat throughout the day and at lunch with the boss about why i want to do this type of work, you know normal interview questions. This is how i would conduct "interviews" if i was looking to employ people.

So in answer to your question, turn up in your kit ready for some work. Likes been said before, dont lie about what your good at. It will come back and bite you on the arse!

wore a suit to an interview in a metalwork shop years ago, felt like a rite tit when had factory tour, everyone was staring like whats this clown doin? needless to say i got the cruddy job and packed it in 6mths later to work outside where i belong, oh im slightly deaf now but red hot with an anglegrinder..

sorry, i must be old fashioned.

two lads, same quals. same attitude,

the one who's made the extra effort wins everytime

Ditto:

I would be looking for the following.

1) Suit. If the bottom button of the jacket is done up = bad. Double breasted ok, single breasted ok if 2 or 3 button, any more = bad.

2) Socks - correct tone for suit.

3) Tie - no massive knots of over tightened chokers!

4) Handkerchief in jacket pocket; silk please and folded properly.

5) If carrying an umbrella; black only.

6) Shoes - thin soled leather. Any ugly chunky ben sherman crap with thick chunky soles and fashion tags are a definate no-no. Must be polished to perfection.

7) Shirt - top button fastened for crying out loud! Conservative cuffllinks and double cuffs = good. Must be ironed immaculately; should be able to shave with the crease on the upper arm. Shirt sleeve ends should be visible after jacket sleeves.

8) Messy hair - forget it.

9) Jewellery - forget it again. (wedding ring excluded)

In other words I would be looking for someone dressed like 007. Once they had proved they had the decency to present themselves properly, interview 2 would be on the job, appropriate clothes and PPE would then be assessed as would all the other attributes; grafting etc etc etc.

Yes, seriously. :sneaky2:

But this is my kinda thing and I'm wierd. I'll be the only one who suggests this but if MY MONEY is going on anyone, hell they'd better be spotless.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Totally agree TCD, but impractical attire for any physical element to an interview?

ASK!

It's free, and makes it look you are a forward planner and the type who would take the right kit to a job.

Mick hasn't rang me since the arseless leather shorts incident.