Arborist are we skilled or semi skilled

BTS

Surely thats a bit patronizing dont you think?:thumbdown:

no i dont, i am saying compared to how i used to do tree work, getting the right kit to help me made the job so much easier.

If any of you guys have stood in a maternity room holding the hand of your wife or partner while they are giving birth to your child, and you have everything that you love in the hands of someone else, then you realise the insignificanse of this job.

yes this job takes skill to do, washing windows takes skill too. What makes me laugh is the stamp the feet tantrums some are taking over this.

and Tony, you are not in a room full of IT consultants who listen open jawed at the tales of tree cutting, you are in a room full of guys who do this day in day out, some have done it for 40years plus. anything you have done someone else will of done bigger, better and quicker.

Knocking tops out of pops is day 1 of tree topping, you couldnt get a more forgiving tree:laugh1:

no i dont, i am saying compared to how i used to do tree work, getting the right kit to help me made the job so much easier.

If any of you guys have stood in a maternity room holding the hand of your wife or partner while they are giving birth to your child, and you have everything that you love in the hands of someone else, then you realise the insignificanse of this job.

yes this job takes skill to do, washing windows takes skill too. What makes me laugh is the stamp the feet tantrums some are taking over this.

and Tony, you are not in a room full of IT consultants who listen open jawed at the tales of tree cutting, you are in a room full of guys who do this day in day out, some have done it for 40years plus. anything you have done someone else will of done bigger, better and quicker.

Knocking tops out of pops is day 1 of tree topping, you couldnt get a more forgiving tree:laugh1:

The kit also allows you to do a better job. I doubt you could do a good reduction or thin while hanging on to the trunk with one arm.

I knew a lad that liked to climb sometimes without a rope so he looked hard! He could only do easy stuff though and did a piss poor job at that. He did a lot better when he did it properly though.

The bit about the insignificance compared to child birth well you could say that about everything not work but all life experiences.

I think people stamp their feet when they hear that what they do is S*** and anyone with no effort,training,skill,competence,brain cells etc could do exactly the same with minimum input.

I think people stamp their feet when they hear that what they do is S*** and anyone with no effort,training,skill,competence,brain cells etc could do exactly the same with minimum input.

if thats all you are hearing then maybe you should listen better.

no one has said that. I am saying, hands on experience in this job is what it takes. How many of us are arborists? to me a real arborist knows all about the science of trees, and will have degrees and letters after their name. if you dont, then you are a tree climber. there are diferent levels of this.

Look at tony, there is no doubt he is very good at his job with a lot of knowledge, but he doesnt have an academic degree and has admitted he is finding it hard to get through the course, now if he is finding it tough, then a lot of others in this trade that call themselves tree surgeons, me included would struggle to fill in the forms.

If our job was held in such high regard, why is this thread here? And why are so many threads started about cowboys taking our work? Do you think Drs and Architects panick when they see a pile of old transits in a lay-by. i think not.:001_rolleyes:

That last paragraph says more about our profession than the rest of the thread put together.

Like it or lump it, that's the truth.

I'm skilled, and happy.

Tony, you are clearly more skilled than me. Your happiness should eclipse everything!

All will become clearer when we all have a beer together this summer!

If our job was held in such high regard, why is this thread here? And why are so many threads started about cowboys taking our work? Do you think Drs and Architects panick when they see a pile of old transits in a lay-by. i think not.:001_rolleyes:

Dr's and architects have their profession protected by legislation, so they have no need to worry, but the difference in skill levels in all professions is HUGE.

Many of the tasks we carry out can be done by the unskilled, but can the unskilled do it in a manner that is commercially viable??

If you are skilled you can carry out the task in a more efficient manner and so are more commercially viable.

One if the reasons I don't want legislation to stop any one from doing tree work is because IMO it creates a false market.

I want to win work because my skill means I can carry out the work quicker and more efficiently than others, causing less damage and disturbance.

I wonder if those who bleat on about cowboys lack the skills to out compete them??

I think many are forgetting just how much you do actually know and understand..

You can teach someone the basics in a week no worries......... but that is not skill you are teaching them.

There are thousands upon thousands of little snippits of information that take decades to learn. There are people on here that have been in tree work for decades and are STILL learning.

So please done spue rubbish that tree work can be learned in a week and is un-skilled

Most of us on here are still at the bottom of the ladder with vast quantities of information and skill still to learn

Anyone can take a tree down....yes

Given some bits of equipment and a days training I could take out your appenedix, whether its done right or you die from a secondary infection or internal bleeding is a different matter

....... you try sectioning a tree with one arm wrapped around it, once i got a rope and harness it was easy.

I prefer to wrap a leg around the tree steve, this leaves both hands free for working, and is in my view, far more professional.

if thats all you are hearing then maybe you should listen better.

no one has said that.

Maybe I am hearing it wrong but I thought you said that someone off the streets can be up to speed in two weeks.

Up to what kind of speed.

We obviously havent differing views of what is classed as skilled and what isnt.

Myself I think it takes more like 5 years to be up to speed rather than a fortnight.

Of course there are different levels of skill and we are always learning, just like everyone else in every other job.

You will no doubt find architects bitching about each other (probably more so than us) since they also take a pride in what they do and they are probably only as good as there last job

Doctors, well its not very legal to practice medicine without a license I think.

Plus they are usually above the law, quite untouchable and they know it. It takes some major major boo boo's to get struck off.

Maybe I am hearing it wrong but I thought you said that someone off the streets can be up to speed in two weeks.

once again you are dramatising what i said, i dont mean a hobbo mesterh, a fit guy with a bit of common sense and a willing to learn can be brought up to speed pretty quickly, yes maybe the basics but he wont need to go to university or have intensive one on one training. Maybe its just me, maybe i dont see the glamour in this job like some do, maybe i am just happy with my own ability and dont care what others think.