Arborist are we skilled or semi skilled

BTS

I always thought trades were 'skilled' occupations, with the exception of painting. and stuff requring a degree/non practical skills as academic. semi skilled owuld be stuff like cutting grass road sweeping, maybe...But they're basically labourers. Climbers and good groundies are deffinetley skilled in my opinion. If your not bothered about not getting the rise (which is nuts by the way) then don;t worry about it too much, if your respected by your peers then that should be enough, surely?

Best hurry up and ge tthat degree because you wont be achieveing the majority of those goals on the tools...then you'll be the detached guy in the suit :P

Edited by Billy

what are you going to do when someone calls you up to do some consulting on their trees and doesnt speak to you in the tone you obviously think you will deserve? throw a fit, give them a lecture. WHO CARES!!!!!!!

if you dont like it, move on. if you think you are worth more ten go and do it yourself and write your own job title, hell for £120 you can become a managing director of your own company:biggrin:

True doing consultancy looking at trees, not cutting them you get even weird people stearing clear of you:001_tt2:

£120 your managing director must have got a good christmas bonus?:lol::laugh1:

leave the grass cutters alone, how many of you guys could maintain large lawns and keep them disease free all year long. And look at greenkeepers, i did greenkeeping when i left school and followed it into comercial contracting for another 3 years including turfing and landscaping, i know for a fact that not everyone can push a lawnmower, and there are plenty of top greenkeepers that wouldnt get out of bed for less than 45k a year and a house with vehicle. This industry is ego fueled, and it is getting worse, yes the stein gear looks great and bright coloured ropes and shiny things are cool, but if you cat be given a blunt 10 year old saw, give it a rub with any size of file you can find and drop a tree and get on with the job with out shouting like a spoilt kid about how much you are worth then you arent going anywhere.

Thats what you want to do Tony, which is great mate, Doesnt matter what otheres think tho pal

if that was true i would have the job I want!

If i was a knowledgable and capable arb why have i been turned down as a trainee consultant?

What you ,lot think of me wont get me the jobs!

getting noticed will! so what the peers think of me matters... though to be honest what you guys think of me means the world to me, and thanks:thumbup:

thats how much it is to become a ltd company:001_smile:

yes and ive been there done that, and it was brill, but I have no desire to go that route again thank you! unless its an arb consulting practice that i set up just to rival the firms that wont give me a job!

and they better watch out if i do!

leave the grass cutters alone, how many of you guys could maintain large lawns and keep them disease free all year long. And look at greenkeepers, i did greenkeeping when i left school and followed it into comercial contracting for another 3 years including turfing and landscaping, i know for a fact that not everyone can push a lawnmower, and there are plenty of top greenkeepers that wouldnt get out of bed for less than 45k a year and a house with vehicle. This industry is ego fueled, and it is getting worse, yes the stein gear looks great and bright coloured ropes and shiny things are cool, but if you cat be given a blunt 10 year old saw, give it a rub with any size of file you can find and drop a tree and get on with the job with out shouting like a spoilt kid about how much you are worth then you arent going anywhere.

best comment in the whole thread....

the question the thread starter should be asking their employer is "where does it say that i'm NOT skilled, and where does it say that i am "semi" skilled"

steve blaire....well said....

Hi all just had pay review at work they class arborists as semi skilled craftsman ( along with grass cutters etc) and not skilled, what are your thoughts on this i believe we are skilled.

Me?

I'm highly skilled. Not just skilled.

Arborist, ex-greenskeeper, previously licensed pesticide consultant, heavy equipment operator, presentations, website work, word processing, etc..

In general, I'd definitely say "skilled" for certain.

Sorry guys, I'm with Rupe's way of thinking on this one. Obviously there are some skilled people working in our industry but generally I think its a semi skilled industry.

As an example, my Dad is a precision engineer and has worked as one and owned engineering businesses for many years. I reckon if I took him out for a week I could get him climbing, cutting and rigging (very basic rigging). If I, or I would imagine most of you, went to work with him for a week we still wouldn't be able to do 1% of what he does.

This is an example only - I do appreciate some of you may be quite handy already on a lathe/ milling machine.