ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

6 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Well after my episode with my younger dog and the rat bait a few wk back, I now have a lodger for a month, she came last Tuesday and is my vets dog, her name is Purdey just gone 2yr old  more of a pet but has been out on about 3 shoots, I spent  last Tues aft with whistle work, recall and stopping we did a bit of retrieving with a tennis ball, wed  we had 3 training sessions over the day, then Thursday I was asked to get rid of some pigeons on a laid wheat field, so off we went with new best mate closely following behind, I think the photos say it all but this little dog worked her arse off for me and I an sure she had a ball doing what she should ve doing,

20230706_173531.jpg

20230706_145549.jpg

20230706_180817.jpg

20230706_193008.jpg

She is a natural bless her .

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

She is a natural bless her .

Very much so stubby, I think by time she goes home she will be a different dog ?? The jade out last Thursday with us had working dogs for 45 yrs and his words where, to say you only had it 2 days its worked well for you today, and TBH she has surprised me as well,,, 

• Like 4

Just now, spuddog0507 said:

Very much so stubby, I think by time she goes home she will be a different dog ?? The jade out last Thursday with us had working dogs for 45 yrs and his words where, to say you only had it 2 days its worked well for you today, and TBH she has surprised me as well,,, 

I can see the vet letting you have her ....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

I can see the vet letting you have her ....

i very much dought it as she officially belongs to the vets 3 and half year old daughter, and i could not take any thing off a child, i am going to ask if i can work the dog on our shoot over the winter tho,,

• Like 3

I'm sure we're all aware that a dogs best sense is smell, but sometimes something happens that lets you see just how remarkable their sense of smell is.

Last Thursday there was four of us working in a little woodland adjacent to a local primary school. Spec was take down anything dead or dodgy to make safe for the kids as they regularly use the woods. All arisings were to be cut and stacked in the wood so the kids can make habitat piles with it.

I mentioned to the OH we were working in the woods, no more was said. This morning she's at home so ended up walking little Cassie through the wood. She sent me a message with pictures of every stack I did saying "did you do these?". Yes, that's exactly what I did! How did you know?

Apparently Cassie ignored all the stacks except the ones I'd done which she sniffed around and pee'd at. Can only think that after 4 days with rain every day she could still smell my scent on the wood I'd touched...

Amazing, but how she can put up with my feet I'll never know!

DSC_0240.thumb.JPG.b5fe2b8d42136d17bee7c9f8f5d9f9da.JPG

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Doug Tait said:

I'm sure we're all aware that a dogs best sense is smell, but sometimes something happens that lets you see just how remarkable their sense of smell is.

Last Thursday there was four of us working in a little woodland adjacent to a local primary school. Spec was take down anything dead or dodgy to make safe for the kids as they regularly use the woods. All arisings were to be cut and stacked in the wood so the kids can make habitat piles with it.

I mentioned to the OH we were working in the woods, no more was said. This morning she's at home so ended up walking little Cassie through the wood. She sent me a message with pictures of every stack I did saying "did you do these?". Yes, that's exactly what I did! How did you know?

Apparently Cassie ignored all the stacks except the ones I'd done which she sniffed around and pee'd at. Can only think that after 4 days with rain every day she could still smell my scent on the wood I'd touched...

Amazing, but how she can put up with my feet I'll never know!

DSC_0240.thumb.JPG.b5fe2b8d42136d17bee7c9f8f5d9f9da.JPG

I took one of my spaniels to the beach one day ( can't remember which dog it was ) and the beach was all pebbles . I was picking up a pebble studying it for markings and then throwing it in amongst all the other millions of pebbles on that beach . Every time , without fail she brought back the pebble I had thrown . Just the scent of my hand momentarily on the pebble was enough .

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I took one of my spaniels to the beach one day ( can't remember which dog it was ) and the beach was all pebbles . I was picking up a pebble studying it for markings and then throwing it in amongst all the other millions of pebbles on that beach . Every time , without fail she brought back the pebble I had thrown . Just the scent of my hand momentarily on the pebble was enough .

It is amazing how these spaniels locate hidden drugs like they do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

was picking up a pebble studying it for markings and then throwing it in amongst all the other millions of pebbles on that beach . Every time , without fail she brought back the pebble I had thrown .

I expect you called her gummy,

The number of times I have told kids not to throw stones for dogs, we rehomed a fantastic border collie that had stumps for teeth because the previous owner threw stones for him to fetch. He lived four doors down so I knew how this had happened.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

The number of times I have told kids not to throw stones for dogs, we rehomed a fantastic border collie that had stumps for teeth because the previous owner threw stones for him to fetch. He lived four doors down so I knew how this had happened.

And sticks. I had a GSD when I was young that needed emergency surgery to remove a bit of the stick I'd been throwing from blocking its gut. Vet said it was quite common.

Ironically the next dog was a Terrier and I vowed it would only play with a ball, until a tennis ball ricochet hit her square in the eye and she went a bit loopy. Even when I took the ball away she kept chasing a phantom ball until the vet put drops in which calmed her until the swelling went down and she could see properly again. No more ball.

Haven't had an incident with rope toys yet.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I did not let her go until l the pebble was at rest . She just went in the general direction , turned down wind of the pebble and quatered up to it , soft mouthed it and brought it back . No damage to fer teeth .

• Like 2