Moles are taking over the World (quietly).

Trailoftears

I dunno whats going on.But having been a lanscaper for forty odd years,you get used to seeing an upsurge in activity in say,early Spring.Then an upsurge towards late Summer.Lately its relentless and endless,the little fekkers have NO down season anymore.I just dont know why-climate change,A new breed of super fertile moles?Suffice to say,they are seriously doing my head in and sorely trying my Buddhist morals.The endless and monotonous heaps are bad enough,but worse are the subtle but widespread surface tunnels that collapse under your tread/mower progress.Its really trying my patience-to say the least 😳

7 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Any mole that comes into my garden is as good as dead thanks to this device.

Illegal in the UK, I imagine because of the explosives involved.

But humane and very effective.

Killed 2 in one day earlier in the spring.

IMG_3646.png

I use a similar device, it just has me and a shotgun attached to it. 

I sympathise, I have had my own success trapping them though.

The art is locating the tunnels between the mole hills, I use a screw driver and push it in to the soil around the mound to locate it. Once you know where the tunnel is, you get a wall paper scraper and cut a neat oblong out of the roof of the tunnel, find the entrance and exit then place one of these old fashioned traps in line with the tunnel and replace the plug of lawn.

Just keep at least a foot away from the mole hill and then get in to the mindset of the mole travelling the tunnel so a nice clean installation and positioning of the trap is critical IMO. 

Ok usually get 4 traps down to raise the odds.

Goodluck

337HH_P.webp

• Like 3

Agreed spud only to add if you smoke wash your hands and rinse them well in clean water, same if you have handled any strong smelling fuel, oil etc. Then rub your hands with grass followed by mole hill soil. Don’t drip sweat from your nose etc when digging the hole. If the trap gets filled with soil twice relocate it.

if you are successful please come to mine as the little shites are making a hell of a mess after a late start this year!

Nopedigree

• Like 2