Cost for hedge cutting ph and waste removal

Depends on what type of hedges, height, width, level of equipment needed ie tripod ladders, long reach cutters, extensions, any chainsaw cuts of thicker bits? Chipping waste or paying to tip?

I prefer to give a price for the whole job unless its really big, then a day rate with a best estimate of how many days it should be

You won’t find many established tree firms giving  out hourly rates for anything, especially hedges .

You’re best off asking a local gardener if it’s a small straightforward hedge.

If it’s big a tree firm will come out , and after a careful  inspection and a few well chosen questions, will give you a quote for the whole job, take it or leave it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments, by the way I’m a contractor and was just wondering what the going rate is on the broad scale, I’m super busy at the moment and want to know I’m getting it right!

Ah you know how this thread will go now, people will just tell you to price it whatever it's worth to you, allowing for overheads, hassle, a little something for yourself, and any number of costs that people would encounter, but they won't really share what that might be for themselves, until people start tentatively suggesting highballs and lowballs until we start arguing about whether some jobs are best charged for big machines or a fella with a ladder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karldg said:

Thanks for the comments, by the way I’m a contractor and was just wondering what the going rate is on the broad scale, I’m super busy at the moment and want to know I’m getting it right!

You're too cheap....

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just off the top of my head - figures might need adjusting to suit you, your expenses, overheads (also includes location)

£20 an hour as wages (starting figure, adjust up or down) - we all have the minimum we want to take home before tax - each worker. 

+50% (£10 an hour) overheads 'office work' - making quotes, all the paper work, tea bags, overheads.

+ 75p / mile travel to and from site (should cover the cost of the van in that too?)

+ £1 / hour for each chainsaw / trimmer / blower - cover repairs and replacements, fuels

+ £0.50 / hour PPE etc, teabags for the van

+ local tip fees

Would put a day rate close to £300

I'll put that up there, we can argue what else to include perhaps, and if my off the top of my head figures are too far off the mark

15 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Bit worried, you've got teabags on there twice without any milk.

Shows how it all adds up though, I tend to lose hedge jobs against gardeners working out of a car but I don't mind.

Posh office teabags and the sweeping ups ones for the site guys!.

• Like 1

I don't ring other dealers asking what they charge out at per hour, as every business costs are different.

You know your costs, and how much you want to make and charge out accordingly. With respect once you start charging prices just because others are charging a certain price- ignoring your personal situation- then you are getting into a price rigging cartel in your area.....and we are all quite happy to complain about that when petrol stations and supermarkets do it.

Work your costs out, and what profit you wish to make after deductions and go with that...irrelevant of what fred down the road is charging