Right or wrong

Peter-k

Just stand your ground then, definitely don’t eat humble pie as you put it. He’s nothing to do with you, not your father in law

make anyone that questions your behavior about this feel like a f-kin imbecile

• Like 1

agree with the above - your tools, to grab them without asking is wrong. More important when it comes to power tools. Be slightly different if the father in law was suitably qualified and experienced, I get the feeling he isn't and was just 'having a go' - but with experience you would ask.

Regardless of the price or not if the saws get damaged it is your livelihood and wages taking a hit if they get damaged and out of action, likewise your expenses to replace chains and so on. If you are there with your team they will all have signed up to your risk assessments and safe way of working, very much doubt he took the time to read through them? Again your wages at risk if his actions put you or your team out of action.

I think a firm no, "My job site" and off you toddle would be the solution - and if he insists on helping there should be loads of related safer jobs he could be doing. 

The father in law is 100 per cent in the wrong. Just tell them you are not doing any more until they can all respect your rules. I think if you just said you were not doing any more under any circumstances that would still be perfectly reasonable. I could use many words to describe my thoughts on this idiot, but nobody else has particularly lowered the tone of the thread so far, so I won't do so either!

Fair enough letting him drag a few sticks to the chipper if he really wants to muck in, but there's no reason for anyone to pick up a chainsaw, and you should have put your foot down a lot sooner, certainly before taking your phone out and getting a picture.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

No debate really.

If it gets heated just say unless he clears off you will.

This all day long . Let the knob jockey get on with it , I would .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peter-k said:

I did tell him to f-off that the thing. Asked him twice to move away third time I lost it.

This is what made me loose the plot as you can see from the photo 

and yes they are a pair of Chelsea  boots he wearing  using a 661 with a 36” bar 

IMG_4493.jpeg

If it wasn't for the photographi evidence, i was wondering whether the thread was a wind up. Can I borrow this pic for my next health and safety seminar? 

Peter, I hope you've learnt something here. It might be hard if your father in law dominates most things, but that's your site. I'm sure you'd be horrified if the next old fella your working for picks up the big saw and fires it up. Its no different really.

• Like 1