Getting back into my music

eggsarascal

6 minutes ago, rapalaman said:

Seen ELO three times - excellent live. Fleetwood Mac four times I think. Only about four songs/artists I don’t remember from that chart - 78 was a very good year for music, or maybe it’s just rose tinted glasses?

Music was key to our house when I grew up, the wireless/stereo was always on, not loud, just enough to be comfortable, both my brothers saw ELO, and Kate Bush, neither of them can tell me why I wasn’t taken! I know some will say the 60’s was the best time for music but the late 70’s early 80’s turned out some decent stuff.

24 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Music was key to our house when I grew up, the wireless/stereo was always on, not loud, just enough to be comfortable, both my brothers saw ELO, and Kate Bush, neither of them can tell me why I wasn’t taken! I know some will say the 60’s was the best time for music but the late 70’s early 80’s turned out some decent stuff.

Definitely with you there - but every generation grew up with “the best music”! But look how popular the 80s revival gigs are - been to a few and whilst some of the artists weren’t my thing, great days out nonetheless.

have seen The Beat, Selecter recently, along with Specials, Madness, UB40 years ago, as well as my more usual rock favourites 

• Like 1

I listen to FiP radio here in France, a mix of English language classics from the last 5 decades and the French equivalents that I have never been exposed to, a fantastic eclectic mix.

I used to be able to pick it up in Brighton/South Coast back in the day, not sure if you still can.

I watch a lot of old Top of the Pops on BBC4.

I can say that the worst periods were when the Stock Aitken Waterman dominated but even worse was the rave/dance stuff of the late 90s.

Don’t get me wrong, I did my share of Es and all that, but the music was crap (if you’re not off your tits) and made popular music largely unlistenable.

I will not be taking questions on this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rapalaman said:

Definitely with you there - but every generation grew up with “the best music”! But look how popular the 80s revival gigs are - been to a few and whilst some of the artists weren’t my thing, great days out nonetheless.

have seen The Beat, Selecter recently, along with Specials, Madness, UB40 years ago, as well as my more usual rock favourites 

My mate Wes played sax in The Beat, amongst others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5thelement said:

My mate Wes played sax in The Beat, amongst others.

My mates Uncle was allegedly The Beats Manager back in the day, not sure if he was having us along but he got an awful lot of stickers and merchandising stuff if he didn't 

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I can say that the worst periods were when the Stock Aitken Waterman dominated but even worse was the rave/dance stuff of the late 90s.

Don’t get me wrong, I did my share of Es and all that, but the music was crap (if you’re not off your tits) and made popular music largely unlistenable.

Totally agree, did the rave scene and loved it, but the music, mostly was crap

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I remember this being played/mixed in clubs later on.

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I did my share of Es and all that, but the music was crap (if you’re not off your tits) and made popular music largely unlistenable.

I all ways thought you had to take Es to listen to it, it never did owt for me either,,