Price for repairing saws

ChrisNewport

6 minutes ago, Con said:

Know what you're saying stubby, but shouldn't have to.  

Imagine the response would be "how much an hour!".

I remember being in my local dealers and someone came to collect a little saw, they were grumbling about the £30 odd repair price as in the end it only needed a new spark plug. The guy calmly explained that they were paying for X years of knowledge to know it needed a spark plug and then fit the correct one, and if the customer had that knowledge they'd happily have sold them the correct part for a fiver, "but you don't" was the end of the grumbling.

• Like 4

Sadly it's the same in pretty much every profession & industry, except maybe dentistry, my usual response is how much do you charge!.

Usually they say how they earn XXX and then you glaze over thinking you're charging a quarter of that per hour and feeling like a mug.

That's my price, they might argue but will pay it and most importantly don't ever come back!.

I was charging £50 per hour and was happy as I was pretty on the fault so fixed kit pretty efficiently and that was before the cost of living and inflation hike......porting Included.

With what you have done, you should be £250+...he sounds like an ungrateful bugger...tell him to get a quote from the local dealer for the work you have done.

• Like 4

You're really under valuing your time. I think the last thing I had fixed was my 660 which spud did and that was a good deal. Most of the time now most repairs are 50 60 quid an hour plus parts. Heaven forbid you only have an tractor dealership to fix your kit or that workshop cost is closer to £100.

• Like 1

I’d be more than happy with that cost and probably tell you it’s too cheap and offer more. If you still have them? Strip them down, put in a couple of boxes and give them back to him? Tell him that apparently the repair costs would be to much🤔

35 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

I’d be more than happy with that cost and probably tell you it’s too cheap and offer more. If you still have them? Strip them down, put in a couple of boxes and give them back to him? Tell him that apparently the repair costs would be to much🤔

I used to get those in as well. In one case, I just reassembled it...no fault present!

I always strip down, take pictures and send along with a cost to repair, this customer is an idiot he probably knows full well how much a dealer would charge him to do what you have done, charge him the cost of the parts and tell him to f  k off and never darken your doorstep again, he may feel the guilt and pay the original price.

• Like 2

By my reckoning that's 18.75/HR which seems very reasonable to me! "Proper" repair shops, and I mean no offence just commercial ones, I'm sure would be 40 or 50! Don't know as I fix myself but if you don't have the skill you gotta pay! I would suggest much as you might like to tell him to do one it's not worth falling out over. Just explain it was 45 for parts and you charge 18.75/hr for 4hrs labour as both needed a strip down. If he owns and uses those two he must know full well that's very reasonable. If he still grumbles ask how much he charges per hour?!!

• Like 1