Free wood hard to get

Liam109

18 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

We were pruning beech branches in a college today, apparently 4 people had asked about the wood before I got out of the tree.

I said we should have put it on eBay.

I recall many years ago we were trimming some trees in the grounds of Dulwich College.

A guy came up and wanted some wood so we stacked a few bits under the tree as he said he’d pick it up on the way back.

The boss turns up and say ‘what’s that wood doing there?’

I explained that a guy was coming back to pick it up later.

’pick it up and chuck it on the wagon’ he says ‘he won’t come back and I’ll get it in the neck for leaving rubbish on site’

He was right. As the years go by he gets righter and righter, and he’s been dead for 17 years.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Liam109 said:

Is it me or does it seem really hard to get any free wood these days? Anyone cutting it down wants to keep it, for their use or to sell. 

Shame, collecting firewood has been a bit of a hobby but it seems harder than ever to get it free.

I'm finding the same problem with money .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, dan blocker said:

So are you finding it really hard to get any free money Stubby or is collecting money a bit of a hobby🤔

Free money is like unicorn poo now a days mate . Whats the world coming to , I ask yer .

24 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

Strange really because the government and councils seem to be throwing money away but none of it lands by me?

Put a post up on here asking for some ....Oh wait ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I recall many years ago we were trimming some trees in the grounds of Dulwich College.

A guy came up and wanted some wood so we stacked a few bits under the tree as he said he’d pick it up on the way back.

The boss turns up and say ‘what’s that wood doing there?’

I explained that a guy was coming back to pick it up later.

’pick it up and chuck it on the wagon’ he says ‘he won’t come back and I’ll get it in the neck for leaving rubbish on site’

He was right. As the years go by he gets righter and righter, and he’s been dead for 17 years.

On the other hand the big pile of dead euc we left there last week was all gone.

Even had a couple of guys excited about turning bowls out of it, I thought they were crackers but didn't like to say.

7 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

On the other hand the big pile of dead euc we left there last week was all gone.

Even had a couple of guys excited about turning bowls out of it, I thought they were crackers but didn't like to say.

In Dulwich College grounds?

• Haha 2

Just now, Mike Hill said:

Who were you working for then Mick?

A guy called Derry Watkins from Faygate near Horsham.

He was one of many ex employees of Southern Tree Surgeons who, in the 70s and 80s were very prominent in the industry. Bought by Bartletts I understand.