Free wood hard to get

Liam109

What amazes me though is despite all this you go to one of these greenwaste tip sites where people pay per m³ to tip greenwaste and there's a mountain of wood... so plenty of tree surgeons are obviously happy to pay to tip it.  Convenience I guess

27 minutes ago, Stere said:

As often as not with people who want to keep wood it is still there yrs later as a unintentional "bug hotel" I notice when passing.

Often a  penny pincher who ends up  letting it  it all rot.

Nothing wrong with that. I often recommend it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NJA said:

What amazes me though is despite all this you go to one of these greenwaste tip sites where people pay per m³ to tip greenwaste and there's a mountain of wood... so plenty of tree surgeons are obviously happy to pay to tip it.  Convenience I guess

At our local one you pay to tip greenwaste but logs and chip are free. But yes, sometimes you just need to get shot and on with the next job.

It's not tricky.

If the tree surgeon is contracted to remove the tree then it has to make financial sense to tip at yours - so maybe you are closer to their usual tip site, maybe tipping at yours they can empty the van and get back to site an hour quicker - which might turn a 1 12 day job into a single longish day - got to make commercial sense for the tree surgeon. Sure we can offer an incentive but £50 will only realy be a persuader if they are working within 20 minutes of the house I think.

Comercial work - might be wrong - but the client is likely to want to see due diligence and proof that the waste was disposed of correctly - comercial tips - so we might never see any of that.

The home owner might want the wood, either they think that a fresh beech tree will be worth thousands and it will go on gumtree or they have a friend of a relative of a neighbour....

And the final thing is that a lot of tree surgeons have worked out that if they leave logs handy they will just go with no further effort.

So 'free' wood and easy free wood that turns up on the back of a transit might be getting harder to get hold off, but the work is still getting done, perhaps have to just be in the right place at the right time

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steven P said:

but it's true - round here anyway, often see logs 'handy' for passing motorists.

A lot of contracts stipulate not to leave logs by the road for the reason passing motorists pose a significant hazzard to them selves and others doing exactly this… nothing pisses me off more than some bell end pulling over with his hazards on for logs  causing chaos in the middle of a job especially if there is TM on. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MattyF said:

A lot of contracts stipulate not to leave logs by the road for the reason passing motorists pose a significant hazzard to them selves and others doing exactly this… nothing pisses me off more than some bell end pulling over with his hazards on for logs  causing chaos in the middle of a job especially if there is TM on. 

Except maybe the home owner who persistently taps you on the shoulder whilst making a hand warming gesture for every thing bigger than 1” when your trying to chip up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2