sadiq

manco

2 hours ago, Stere said:

Nope I  think  the ULEZ is good overall & probably doesn't go far enough.

Air pollution  is damaging the  health of millions.

i agree, environmentally solid, but as far as i can tell ulez excludes only about 2% of vehicles that were coming in.

so how much did he spend on it all to cut out 2% that were polluting. that being my point.

similarly congestion charge seemed to assume people were driving in for a giggle not for work.

I live about 7 miles from the outside of the ulez. I never go that direction so it's never been an issue. But if it was about improving air quality surely it should be a national scheme.  No monsters like me driving ten of thousands of miles in a euro 5 diesel. 

What rags me is when I go to Heathrow Terminal 5 I get to the roundabout for the terminal and I drive from the roundabout to the car park and that is my ulez journey. About 300 yards.

• Like 1

London is a long long way from me, I have been there once. Lots of shops if you like that type of thing.

However my comment is not on the specifics whether it is right or wrong, but for the occasional visitor there could be a new local rule every time you visit. Might not be an issue in another city but suddenly in the same country, the same car, same set of national rules, you can get fined because of a local rule that only applies in a single city. Either make the rules apply to all, everywhere, or apply to no one.

Similarly should apply all other restrictions evenly and fairly to all instead of a single politician going off on a crusade or a whim (here is the chance for the Welsh to jump in with their 20mph speed limits, we should all have that as standard, or none of us should).

The last time I drove in London, had to used the Dartford crossing, and pay for that online (no booths to pay), but at the end of a 6 hour journey, no idea of the website to go to. Haven't been back since.

18 hours ago, manco said:

anyone else think sadiq kahns being a prick? 

i dont live in londong and dont visit much, and its been a nightmare any time ive driven through in the past, but doesnt this ulez thing seem like a massive steaming turd?

whats his game?

im sure most cars now are compliant. so hes wasting money on cameras and such for a handful of cars that hes stopping?

anyone?

We call in Londonistan down South

5 hours ago, manco said:

i agree, environmentally solid, but as far as i can tell ulez excludes only about 2% of vehicles that were coming in.

so how much did he spend on it all to cut out 2% that were polluting. that being my point.

similarly congestion charge seemed to assume people were driving in for a giggle not for work.

Hmmmm.....There was 1 death registered in London in the period 2001 to 2021 which had exposure to air pollution recorded on the death certificate in either part 1 or part 2 of the death certificate. This death was attributed to environmental air pollution, however we are unable to determine whether this involved car emissions.

26 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Apparently if you pay the Ulze fee your 'polluting' vehicle automatically becomes environmentally friendly for the day in question.

JFC. 
No it doesn’t, your money goes into the public purse till you’re fed up of paying and buy a compliant vehicle. 
If they stopped non compliant vehicles straight away there’d be chaos and supply lines would break, and people like you would say ‘there had to have been a more intelligent solution!’

11 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Actually do I know brake dust is a problem.  This is why they use wooden brake blocks in Paris (Poplar).

I used to go to school by electric (overground) train, and I was aware of how everything near the railway got covered by this horrible brown brake dust.  It was sort of hidden when Network Southeast was created in the mid eighties, but in the BR days it was horrible.

I was on those Network Southeast trains going to school in the 80s too, lots of jetwash and paint got rid of a lot of the brown but the same brake smells were there.

It's rarely discussed but on average electric vehicles are heavier (eg Tesla) due to battery weight and hence produce more particulate pollution not less, because of increased tyre and brake wear.

Its a bit of an own goal in the emissions standards to only measure tailpipe particulates, which with DPF AdBlue etc are already very low, and leads to the bonkers "clean" Bentley above along with huge "clean" BMW etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I was on those Network Southeast trains going to school in the 80s too, lots of jetwash and paint got rid of a lot of the brown but the same brake smells were there.

It's rarely discussed but on average electric vehicles are heavier (eg Tesla) due to battery weight and hence produce more particulate pollution not less, because of increased tyre and brake wear.

Its a bit of an own goal in the emissions standards to only measure tailpipe particulates, which with DPF AdBlue etc are already very low, and leads to the bonkers "clean" Bentley above along with huge "clean" BMW etc.

What you are missing though, is that the brakes get used a lot less in electric cars, so much less brake dust.  As for weight, you are correct batteries are heavy, but overall weight only about 10% more.